Error on multi-sess...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Error on multi-session calibration

20 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
(@neverfox)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  
Encountered error in module: 
CreateCalibrationDetails

Error message:
java.lang.NullPointerException

Cause:
null
bV.a(Unknown Source)
bV.doInBackground(Unknown Source)
javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

Process:

Load session 1 lights as Session 1

Load session 2 lights as Session 2

Load BPM and Master Dark

Load MF and MDF from session 1 (done previously) as Session 1

Load MF and MDF from session 2 (done previously) as Session 2

Assign Masters to Lights

Get error above

I also get the error if I don't use previously created MFs and MDFs but instead use my raw flats and dark flats, selecting Create Masters.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by Roman Pearah

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, well that's a nasty error indeed. I would need to see the data for that as well. Would you be able to upload some of the lights and calibration frames just for a quick check? https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com and upload1 for username and password. Please create a directory "neverfox-nullptr".

ReplyQuote
(@neverfox)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Cannot recreate.

ReplyQuote
(@geordan)
Main Sequence Star

I'm also getting this error reliably; should I upload data?  The error goes away if I deselect the flats/master flat, so it looks like it has to do with the flats specifically.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That sometimes happens when there's an issue with the data itself, can you check the FITS headers information of your flats to see if the settings are correct (offset etc)? After that I can check your data for sure to reproduce and see if it's a bug or the data.

ReplyQuote
(@geordan)
Main Sequence Star

The FITS settings seem to be fine.  Interestingly, if I create master flats and then use those instead of trying to create the masters from flats, the error does not occur.  It only seems to occur if I load lights, flats, darks, and dark flats and attempt to normalize in one go.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Oh interesting indeed, would be great if you could upload a small subset of those frames and the masters for us to reproduce.

You can if you want, upload some of the relevant subs to our server;

Go to https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com and use upload1 as username and upload1 as password.

Create a directory named “geordan-flatsnullptr” and upload in there. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@geordan)
Main Sequence Star

Well that's confusing -- I tried to reproduce the error (to get the exact steps to cause it) and now it won't happen.  Figures.  I'll still upload some files; maybe you'll discover something in them that hints at a failure (or maybe it will fail when you try).

ReplyQuote
(@geordan)
Main Sequence Star

I'm unable to reach the upload server 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Sorry about that, there was an issue with the new cable for faster internet. It should work now and be faster.

ReplyQuote
(@geordan)
Main Sequence Star

Done; uploaded 3 lights, flats, and dark flats from 2 sessions (disregard the top level Dark and Flat folders).  The lights were shot through a dual Ha/OIII filter, so I would have loaded them using Ha/OIII Extract Ha.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thank you, I'll download it today and come back asap.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, sorry for taking a bit longer. One of the first things I notice is that the darks do not match with the lights. Your lights are at 300 second exposures while the darks are around 0.7 seconds. Darks should be the same as the lights, so at 300 seconds. The flats need either bias or flat-darks (basically bias with exposure length of the flats) so they can be calibrated properly. Now I don't see the calibration data being applied at all (you can check by loading in the masters and the lights, then switching on "l-calibrated" on top of APP's main window. You can then immediately see if calibration is applied correctly before doing any integration).

ReplyQuote
(@geordan)
Main Sequence Star

Sorry, the folder was mislabeled -- those are Dark Flats, so they have the same 0.7s exposure time as the Flats.

ReplyQuote
(@geordan)
Main Sequence Star

I'm uploading 300s darks to the top level folder (one at gain 20 for session 1, one at gain 120 for session 2) as well as the bad pixel map that I use.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah ok, will download now and have a look later on. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, so I used 1.082, used the "extract Ha" algorithm and loaded all frames in properly. I did assign the darks to all sessions as those shouldn't change much in between if at all (usually based on temperature then). I had no issues assigning them to the lights and the masterdark took are of the amp-glow pretty much ok. I know this doesn't help you much, the problem is however that it's very difficult to find a possible bug if I can't reproduce it. I attached my file list, maybe you see me doing something slightly different?

Session

ReplyQuote
(@geordan)
Main Sequence Star

Yeah, that looks correct, and I'm unable to reproduce it on my end as well.  It may have been a specific sequence of steps that I took to cause the failure, so I'll try to record my steps if this happens again.  It does seem to be a particularly edge case.

Thanks for looking into this!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

No problem and thanks for notifying anyway, it may always point to that edge case and a bug we want to squash.

ReplyQuote
(@neverfox)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I figured out what caused this. When loading my BPM and Master Dark, I take advantage of "auto-detect Masters & Integrations" by selecting both of them after clicking on "Bad Pixel Map". The Master Dark is intended to apply to all sessions but it never presents the multi-session dialog when using auto-detect. As a result, the error occurs when you finally get to assigning masters to lights. I think that what's "null" here is a clear assignment of sessions (all or otherwise) to auto-detected masters. If, however, you add the Master Dark separately, you get the dialog, can choose "All Sessions" and APP doesn't error out when assigning masters to lights.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Roman Pearah

ReplyQuote
Share: