Warning - Light Lea...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Warning - Light Leakage, Bad Sensor Offset, Underexposure

(@seanhagerty)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

I have been getting a dark frame error since I updated to v1.083.  Says something about light leaks or a settings mismatch.  Anyone else getting this issue?  

I shoot my darks in a dark room , and even then I cover the telescope with a dark blanket to stop any stray light from leaking in.  I also use the same settings for my shots.  

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sean

Edit by Mabula: promoted to Sticky since this warning is new in APP 1.083 and is there for good reason.

Today 2022-01-11, the 1.083 installers were updated with an adjustment for this warning system we implemented. It will now only trigger in less severe cases. Simply uninstall APP, delete the downloaded installer and then download and install APP 1.083 again. If you still get a warning then, we probably need to see/analyse your data to make clear what is happening with your data.

This topic was modified 4 months ago 4 times by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Posted by: @seanhagerty

I have been getting a dark frame error since I updated to v1.083.  Says something about light leaks or a settings mismatch.  Anyone else getting this issue?  

I shoot my darks in a dark room , and even then I cover the telescope with a dark blanket to stop any stray light from leaking in.  I also use the same settings for my shots.  

Sean

Hi Sean,

Thank you for sharing.

You are given a warning. It is not an error,...but the warning should be taken seriously. The warning is new in APP 1.083, this is from the release notes:

FIXED & OPTIMIZED, 2)CALIBRATE, the implementation of the adaptive pedestal is now faster and the calibration engine has a new warning system against data that has issues with sensor offset, ligh leakage, incompatible calibration data.

This is the warning that you get right?

Warning

Something similar like below will be shown in the Console window when the warning is triggered.

Console Output
Warning triggered

So you need to double check all 3 that can cause your data issue:

1) Possible Light leakage (you say it can't be the problem, because darks are shot in dark room, I say, please verify by looking at the darks because I know a dark room is not perfectly dark in my experience..)

2) Wrong sensor offset of darks/bias when compared to sensor offset of the lights. The sensor offset is  usually an option that you can set in your capture software. Different software and even different versions of the same software can create this problem big time ! by having changed or using different camera control.

3) You simply have underexposed your lights, so when the darks and/or bias are subtracted, many pixels are clipping to 0, even with a very high artificial/adaptive pedestal that APP is applying on your data.

So please verify yourself which is the problem, if you need help by us looking at the data, that is perfectly okay 😉 Then upload the data on which the warning is triggered here:

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

username and password: upload

Please make a folder with your name and description of your issue and let me know once uploaded 😉

Mabula

This post was modified 4 months ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@seanhagerty)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin

Thank you for taking the time to look at my issue.  I will definitely post my data.

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Dear Sean,

Thanks, I will look at your data now and will report back when finished.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@gary-clayton)
Brown Dwarf Customer

@seanhagerty I was also getting this same error with APP, but redoing all my calibration frames with the latest version of Nina has defiantly sorted out this issue for me, I think that in my case the latest version of Nina has been updated with the latest SDK drivers for my ZWO camera, so that I am now shooting all my lights/darks/flats/darkflats with the same driver/settings.

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by Gary Clayton

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Posted by: @gary-clayton

@seanhagerty I was also getting this same error with APP, but redoing all my calibration frames with the latest version of Nina has defiantly sorted out this issue for me, I think that in my case the latest version of Nina has been updated with the latest SDK drivers for my ZWO camera, so that I am now shooting all my lights/darks/flats/darkflats with the same driver/settings.

Dear Gary @gary-clayton, thank you for your feedback.

It maybe is semantics, but it is a warning and not an error. We try to warn you that your data has in fact an issue 😉 and that you will be best served if you solve it and thus you will get better results with your images !

As a rule of thumb : never try to shoot lights and calibration data with different versions of the same software, let alone use different software packages.. if something in the capture software is updated in terms of camera control, it will be problematic.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Posted by: @seanhagerty

Sean

Edit by Mabula: promoted to Sticky since this warning is new in APP 1.083 and is there for good reason.

Sean @seanhagerty,

I have processed all your data in the 1.083 stable release with default settings without any problems. So maybe you change some settings in 2)Calibrate?

Like making 16bits masters or enabling dark scaling?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Sean @seanhagerty,

Today 2022-01-11, the 1.083 installers were updated with a small adjustment for this warning system we implemented. It will now only trigger in less severe cases. Simply uninstall APP, delete the downloaded installer and then download and install APP 1.083 again. Your dataset should not trigger the warning again 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: