Share:

RGB combination and same size requirements  

RSS

Sara
(@swag72)
Red Giant Customer
August 9, 2017 16:58  

I have fallen foul of this a few times now..... I stack my RGB and register them and because of dithering movements, other reasons the lights are not aligned up perfectly and so are a few pixels larger on one side than the others... then they won't combine.

I would far rather have it so that they combine regardless of size and then I can crop afterwards. Especially as when I was trying to batch crop the other day, APP kept using the wrong image for me to do the initial crop with... please let me decide when I want to crop after RGB combination!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
August 10, 2017 22:16  

Hi Sara,

I have fallen foul of this a few times now..... I stack my RGB and register them and because of dithering movements, other reasons the lights are not aligned up perfectly and so are a few pixels larger on one side than the others... then they won't combine.

Yes, normally, this would always be the case. To combine multiple channels they need to be aligned. Is registering the channels and saving them awkward or would you prefer that it is an automated task at the start of the RGB combine tool. I am sure I can fix that. If the tool finds that the channels aren't aligned, it would ask the user to automatically align the channels. Should be nice to add it I think, so it's on my priorities list.

I would far rather have it so that they combine regardless of size and then I can crop afterwards. Especially as when I was trying to batch crop the other day, APP kept using the wrong image for me to do the initial crop with... please let me decide when I want to crop after RGB combination!

I don't think I completely understand  why you are referring to cropping related to the RGB combination. Cropping will not ensure that the data is aligned for an accurate and good composite as you most likely know 😉 so I don't think I completely understand you here. APP's check for the same image dimensions of the images that yoy load in the RGB combine tool, as this is an easy check to know that images aren't aligned and warn the user about this.

To be clear about registering the channels. If you register them and save them in 4), the channels are aligned as good as they can and they will have exactly the same image dimensions so you can load them into the RGB combine tool. This step can be automated as I suggested earlier, so I'll work on that 😉

Cheers,

Mabula

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
 Sara
(@swag72)
Red Giant Customer
August 11, 2017 09:03  

Hi Mabula, The separate RGB channels are aligned, but due to various things and movements, they are not all the same size - I have some that have rotated a little etc...... and in the lower console the size is different by a few pixels as well.

I guess what I am saying is that I'd welcome the RGB combination (of registered images of course) despite the size of the individual stack. Yes it will be messy around the edges, but that'w when I want to crop, not before.

So to be clear.... ALL of my stacks are registered and saved.... all is well until the point that I want to combine registered images of different sizes.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
August 12, 2017 16:27  

Hi Sara,

The separate RGB channels are aligned, but due to various things and movements, they are not all the same size - I have some that have rotated a little etc...... and in the lower console the size is different by a few pixels as well.

Yes, I understand, the reason for the channels to have different image dimensions would be a different composition Field of View for the channels, and that would always imply that the channels aren't registered to each other directly I think.

So even if you create the separate channels using one and the same reference frame (for instance the best H-alpha frame) you don't have the guarantee that the channels are registered to each other due to the full composition mode. If you were to load 30 OIII frames with the Ha reference and use the full composition mode, then depending on the data certain X and Y offsets are added/subtracted to/from the field of View, so the Field of VIew contains all OIII pixels of all OIII frames. Only if you use the reference compostion mode, you would have the guarantee that the final integrated channels are perfectly registered to each other.

So I think the solution would and should be that the RGB combine tool solves this issue automatically, right?

Mabula

Sara liked
ReplyQuote
 Sara
(@swag72)
Red Giant Customer
August 12, 2017 20:55  

If you think that will work then I agree with you!!! You've left me confused! I assumed that a registered integrated stack when registered to another one meant that they were registered and that was that... now I have no idea 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
August 13, 2017 15:22  

Hi Sara,

I am a bit confused myself now actually 😉

It would probably help a lot if you can show me directly why the RGB combination and the registration of the channels is not working that well for you. I am currently guessing how you end up with stacks that that should be registered to each other but still have different dimensions... that shouldn't happen in APP.

If APP registers data, a field of view is created in the composition module. And all data is projected in that field of view with the same image dimensions. If it doesn't I need to know 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
 Sara
(@swag72)
Red Giant Customer
August 13, 2017 16:00  

Please see my other thread Mabula - I've attached some screen grabs that show my issue.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
August 15, 2017 19:32  

Ok, I will..

ReplyQuote
Share: