Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Laptop Recommendations?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@whixson)
Black Hole
Topic starter  

Looking for hardware specs for a top-end laptop for AstroPixelProcessor. I assume the more cores the better, lots of memory (32Gig up), powerful GPU and lots of fast drive space. Should I be looking for Intel or AMD Ryzen?

Wayne

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yep, that's right, the more cores the better. Regarding a laptop I would also look for one that has proper cooling (laptops throttle down faster than a desktop usually), 32GB should be plenty but of course, more is nice as well. The GPU isn't being used that much yet, so that's for a future version. If however you can't change the GPU (usually you can't) then a powerful one would be good to have. Ryzen currently has the better CPU's it seems.

If you don't need to be mobile for processing, maybe also look at desktops? They tend to be cheaper faster and you can still exchange components for the future.

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Black Hole
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Hi Vincent - thanks!

For curiosity sake, how many cores is too much or unnecessary? There is a Threadripper processor with 64 cores, 128 threads for as much as a top end computer. Would APP even use that many? I'm thinking 16 may be the sweet spot?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I don't think there is a hard limit on the cores, I believe Mabula is using one with that many (not sure). If you have a big dataset and APP can chop it up in 128 threads it will.

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Black Hole
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Thanks! It’s just that taking hundreds of subs with these new larger CMOS sensors really need a lot more processing power. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

For sure yes, of course APP does become faster with each update usually and I hope we can add GPU support somewhere down the line, that would make quite a difference as well.

ReplyQuote
Share: