Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Question from a newcomer re: multi-core, multi-thread PC designed for Astro-imaging/Content Creation, Optimal Licensing, and User Engagement

(@cpear004)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Hello APP Team,

Great product, really can't thank you enough for the 30-day free trial. Took this program for a full test drive using my data acquired this winter/spring and have some key questions that I'm sure will be valuable for others to hear as well in relation to computing power, cores, threads, and future development.

- Question #1: To what extent would APP utilize a newer, multicore CPU, such as the new Ryzen 9 Series 5900 or 5950X processors in the overall processing of stacks (steps A to Z). I've got a nice Intel i7-9700k 8th gen processor that works pretty well with my Samsung EVO 970 Plus Nvme 2.0 SSD drive and 32GB of Corsair DDR4 ram. But, for the amount of stacking that I'm doing in the now and in the future with the new ASI2600MC-Pro at 50+MB per sub, times hundreds of subs, I need to be looking to the future. These newer CPUs run 12 to 16 cores, respectively, and double the threads. Top of the line, but I want to be sure APP processing will see the improvement. I also note you all are working towards integrating graphics cards (perhaps like my RTX 2080 Super) into the processing power of APP as well. In short, would the investment in these newer CPUs be fully utilized by APP? 

- Question #2: How often (tough question, I know) would you say APP will publish a major upgrade to the software, such that buying the Renter's License makes more sense? I have no issue going with the renter's license as supporting your efforts is just as important to me as is having the software to run my processes. Just trying to get a sense as to the longer term benefits of paying year over year beyond routine updates and supporting you all as developers, if any. 

- Question #3: Is there anything we can be doing as users to help you all as developers improve the overall experience of this APP? It's amazing what you've been able to achieve in such a short time with this stacking software, and if there are things that could be beneficial in terms of feedback, etc., please let me know.

That's all from my end. Thanks so much and hope you're all doing well this 2021 Spring season. Take care and look forward to your thoughts. Cheers,

Chris Pearson

@CP_NebuloCity

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

Posted by: @cpear004

Hello APP Team,

Great product, really can't thank you enough for the 30-day free trial. Took this program for a full test drive using my data acquired this winter/spring and have some key questions that I'm sure will be valuable for others to hear as well in relation to computing power, cores, threads, and future development.

Thanks a lot for trying, and liking, it!

- Question #1: To what extent would APP utilize a newer, multicore CPU, such as the new Ryzen 9 Series 5900 or 5950X processors in the overall processing of stacks (steps A to Z). I've got a nice Intel i7-9700k 8th gen processor that works pretty well with my Samsung EVO 970 Plus Nvme 2.0 SSD drive and 32GB of Corsair DDR4 ram. But, for the amount of stacking that I'm doing in the now and in the future with the new ASI2600MC-Pro at 50+MB per sub, times hundreds of subs, I need to be looking to the future. These newer CPUs run 12 to 16 cores, respectively, and double the threads. Top of the line, but I want to be sure APP processing will see the improvement. I also note you all are working towards integrating graphics cards (perhaps like my RTX 2080 Super) into the processing power of APP as well. In short, would the investment in these newer CPUs be fully utilized by APP? 

APP is fully multi-threaded and utilizes as many cores as you can give it. So yes, a Ryzen is one of the best choices for it. Combined with a fast internal SSD and lots or ram, you can process a lot. With each update we're working towards making it faster and better utilizing your system. Indeed, GPU support is on the list, but won't be here soon as that is a very involved update, so in that sense I would wait with buying the latest and greatest right now. 

- Question #2: How often (tough question, I know) would you say APP will publish a major upgrade to the software, such that buying the Renter's License makes more sense? I have no issue going with the renter's license as supporting your efforts is just as important to me as is having the software to run my processes. Just trying to get a sense as to the longer term benefits of paying year over year beyond routine updates and supporting you all as developers, if any. 

That is a bit of a tougher one indeed, I don't know myself what Mabula considers a big enough upgrade to warrant an extra fee when you go for the owners license. If he will ask that at some point in time, you can choose if you want to or not, the one you have will always continue to work.
Upgrades are ongoing regardless, the frequency of those have been about once a month, apart from 1.083 this time, which is taking over 6 months already but this is due to it being a bigger one. In between that, about once a month is normal. With a renter's license you of course will always have the latest version without extra fees required.

- Question #3: Is there anything we can be doing as users to help you all as developers improve the overall experience of this APP? It's amazing what you've been able to achieve in such a short time with this stacking software, and if there are things that could be beneficial in terms of feedback, etc., please let me know.

Well, feedback on things you'd like to see and just general advise or questions you have can be posted here and we're always looking at all of it. Both positive and negative, it's all important to us. If you have workflows of your own, please share them as well it's always nice to see what others have and which can be shared with other users.

That's all from my end. Thanks so much and hope you're all doing well this 2021 Spring season. Take care and look forward to your thoughts. Cheers,

Chris Pearson

You're very welcome, thanks for the kind words and I hope you have a nice experience with the upcoming data as well!

Cheers, Vincent

ReplyQuote
(@cpear004)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Hello Vincent,

Appreciate the quick response. Hope this thread will prove useful to others who may be in a similar position with like-minded questions as we all move deeper into 2021 and beyond. 

Will also be sure to share my workflows where helpful. I do quite a bit of work with my new gen CMOS camera (referenced above), including multi-day captures with various broadband and narrowband filters. APP has been great in enabling me to stack, separate out channels, re-integrate (HaRBG, HaOiiiRGB, etc), you name it. Looking forward to getting more into Mosaic work in the summer (Milky Way Season) as I understand the tool is really great with that type of project as well.

For what it's worth, I'm going to purchase the renter's license and wish you, Mabula, and the APP team the best in moving further in your development of this creative tool.

Cheers,

Chris

@CP_NebuloCity

ReplyQuote
Share: