Undo / Redo buttons...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Undo / Redo buttons on the main interface for "ANY" editing to an image.

4 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@w3tbcptd-net)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I would like to have implemented if possible dedicated un-do / Re-do buttons on the main interface for any editing done to the current image being edited regardless of left or right side of the interface.   While testing an image I utilized some of the editing buttons on the left side under number 9 and basically ruined the image ...blew it out to a white frame and totally lost the image. If there is an undo function button I'm not seeing it. Was very surprised there isn't one after purchasing. That seems to be a standard feature on any photo editing application.

Also the save button is not saving the current image correctly. After reloading a saved image it's not how I edited the image. Whatever I do to an image should be retained. As the program works right now, unfortunately it is pretty much useless to me do to this bug. 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Michael @w3tbcptd-net ,

Each of the tools in 9) will save the progress in your work directory. That is a very direct undo / Redo function, isn't it?

Please check the progress of processing in your work directory, it's there really 😉

If you moved from light pollution removal to star color calibration and it's bad, simply restart one of the previous tools with the saved file from that last tool when the data was still okay in your opinion. I would call that a very simple and effective Undo and Redo function, which also doesn't consume vital hardware resources, especially on low end machines.

And in a tool like Remove Light Pollution, a separate undo/redo doesn't make sense. Each calculate works on the originally loaded data using the provided area select boxes. The undo function is simply to remove the last added area select box or remove the Red or Yellow boxes. Nothing more is needed. A calculate doesn't depend on a previous calculate so therefore a undo/redo in that case will have no single function. There is nothing to undo/redo.

Also the save button is not saving the current image correctly. After reloading a saved image it's not how I edited the image. Whatever I do to an image should be retained. As the program works right now, unfortunately it is pretty much useless to me do to this bug.

I already explained to you how this works in a separate topic as I recall, didn't I ? And I was under the impression that it was clear then, but maybe it is still unclear how this works?

Really, I have processed and saved 1000s if images by now in APP and it works without a bug. Even with color management using ICC color profiles saved in TIFFs and JPGs.

I think there is confusion here due to the preview filter that by default automatically stretches the data for viewing in the image viewer. Just a stretched preview, the original data is not altered  (as it shouldn't) as I explained earlier.

Some users tend to forget, due to this function, that you are actually loading linear data and that APP shows stretched previews of that linear data by default. This is essential to understand how APP works.

Save with stretch selectbox enabled saves the data as shown in the image viewer with all stretch parameters applied.

Save without stretch selectbox, and APP will save the loaded data unaltered by the preview filter. So this is also direct evidence that the preview filter itself doens't alter the original data.

Example, I load a Nikon NEF frame of the Cocoon Nebula:

linear DDP on autostretch preview

by default APP applies the auto DDP stretch filter, so this is not the linear original data, the linear data can be seen if we disable DDP and set the (B)lack slider to 0 :

Linear DDP off Black 0

So If you

• DISABLE DDP and
  • SET the B(LACK) slider to zero = 0
  • SET the W(hite) slider the maximum (depends on bit depth)
  • set gamma to 1, so no gamma/log conversion

You get to see THE ORIGINAL, UNALTERED DATA in APP.

Now to demonstrate and 100% proof that saving of either

• stretched or
  • unstretched

data works bugfree with the save button and that the preview filter doesn't alter the original data, I now re-enable the DDP function, and APP again shows the auto-stretch since auto DDP is on as well:

1) unstretched save on this image, disable stretch selectbox and click on save, I save a JPG with ICC profile on 75% quality, I expect to see the same image as the in the screenshot that has DDP off and B(lack) = 0

This is the JPG output, next to the screenshot of the linear data in the image viewer:

DSC 0019 NoSt
Linear DDP off Black 0

exactly like in the image viewer with DDP off and B(lack) on zero. No bug here I think. The original unstretched data in the NEF is saved in the JPG.

2) stretched save on this image, I expect to get a JPG that shows exactly what I see in the image viewer, this is the JPG output with correct color mangement using ICC profile included:

DSC 0019 St

I think it's identical, so the JPG contains the stretched data created from having the the stretch parameters in APP applied on the original unaltered data.

Let me know if this is more clear now. I won't stop until it's totally clear so do let me know if it's still not fully clear.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@w3tbcptd-net)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I finally understand how everything is being saved...... and how to reload a previous version of an edited photo...... It's all clear now! lol

One more thing....... Is there a way to reload a previous editing session of an image where the "frame" type would be listed properly.... or doesn't it really matter.  Say your working on an image or multiple "different target" images..... and they're not to completion or you just want to change something........and you want to reload all the images of your target in the same order from where you left off after quitting the program.......and have each image categorized properly in the list on the bottom of the viewer?  Would keep things more consistent.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: Michael Evan

I finally understand how everything is being saved...... and how to reload a previous version of an edited photo...... It's all clear now! lol

One more thing....... Is there a way to reload a previous editing session of an image where the "frame" type would be listed properly.... or doesn't it really matter.  Say your working on an image or multiple "different target" images..... and they're not to completion or you just want to change something........and you want to reload all the images of your target in the same order from where you left off after quitting the program.......and have each image categorized properly in the list on the bottom of the viewer?  Would keep things more consistent.

Hi Michael @w3tbcptd-net,

😉 That makes me very happy, in APP 1.060 there will also be a new stretch preset in the DDP presets called :

no stretch (data as is)

If you choose that you will directly see the data unaltered by the preview filter, so very usefull for viewing the stretched saved images. This preset will automatically set the black point to zero, white at maximum, gamma at 1 and will ignore the DDP settings.

I choose to add this preset due to our discussion on this 😉

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: