Suggestions for HDR...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Suggestions for HDR modes

3 Posts
2 Users
4 Likes
(@imnewhere)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I have way too much Orion data and an auto HDR mode would be amazing.

Make it to where you have over in the stretch selections where you add in maybe an HDR 1, HDR 2, HDR 3. Maybe make HDR 1 to where you have it blending highlights in a way that clipping doesn't happen, but where you still see detail. HDR 2 where it does it on darker areas to lift them to a certain level so no blacks are clipped and the faint stuff shines through. Make these almost like stacking some of the stretch levels.

HDR 3 would be the one where it gets both highlights and darks pulled back and pulled up to stop any clipping on either side, with maybe a few variations on this one where you get a higher floor for darks and a lower ceiling for highlights with each level, or maybe even pull this into a tool and use sliders to do this and allow the image to retain the detail on each end.

I know this would make Orion season awesome, and can you imagine what you could do with it pulling details on dust, nebulae, etc. while not having your stars overpower the image? How about bringing up that IFN and galaxy detail without killing galaxy cores like on M81, or even bringing out an amazing M31 with details all the way to the core and details all the way out in the extended halo around it.

Of course it would be even more awesome with a noise reduction module, but with some of the tools I have in Photoshop and PI I can already handle the noise pretty well.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You're on a roll! Nice. 🙂 Yes, HDR is on our to-do list and I think it would be very nice to have these kind of presets then as well, which would be in line with how other tools in APP also work.

Andy Booth and ImNewHere reacted
ReplyQuote
(@imnewhere)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Since I use APP so much I always keep in mind some features I'd like to see in it. I think this one is my biggest on the wish list.

ReplyQuote
Share: