Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Logs!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@devonshire)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Did you ever come back to a project, days later, and wonder what options you picked in order to get where you ended up (or left off)? Or want to reproduce successful steps exactly in later runs (or for support...)?

I'd like a log of the choices I make (explicits and defaults), in the current working directory, with a timestamped filename, so one run does not overwrite the other. If you want to send exceptions to it, that would be a nice-to-have, but this is about capturing workflow choices.

This cannot be done by redirecting the APP startup command, as the working directory is not known at start time, and in any case, such a log would be filled with java chatter and not focused on workflow options that the user has followed. Output redirection as a means of capturing errors has its place, but this is not about that - it's about making it easier to reproduce steps taken, at a later date.

For an example of such a *functional* log, have a look at Ivo's StarTools. You can pick up one of his logs and reproduce workflow steps very easily, because that's the focus. That's the functionality I'm looking for...

Thanks!

- Bob

ReplyQuote
(@szumi)
Main Sequence Star

Until we get the ability to save projects your suggestion would be helpful.  Send the logs to the working directory.

Time and date stamp each log.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Szumi

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes that would be nice, also, the steps you took are in the FITS header information now. So some of that info is saved there.

ReplyQuote
(@devonshire)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Is the FITS header what's shown to the left of the current image?

I did some playing around with changes and while I can see that there's some indication of what's gone on before, it's not a functional log - something that you'd use to reproduce steps taken. ALL of the steps - user pushes a button, moves a slider, etc.

There's more than one way to do this. Could be a simple log of steps as they happen (lots of chatter, but simple to implement). Could be summary-of-net-changes-on-save. Harder to implement, because the user may go back and forth and you'd have to keep track and net out, but if accurate, better for the user.

Anyway, the point of it all would be to log functional steps taken, so they can be reproduced , either by the user, or for support,  capturing the session's workflow.

HTH...

- Bob

ReplyQuote
Share: