Canon Banding Reduc...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Black Friday & Cyber Monday Sales on Renter's & Owner's licenses - sale will end on the 1st of December 2020 at 12:00 UTC

16 November 2020 - Wouter van Reeven has officially joined the Astro Pixel Processor Team as a moderator on our forum, welcome Wouter 🙂 !

31 July 2020 - Comet Registration video tutorial using APP 1.083-beta1 released.

30 July 2020 - APP 1.083-beta1 has been released introducing Comet processing! This 1st beta has comet registration. The stable release will also include special comet integration modes.

9 July 2020 - New and updated video tutorial using APP 1.081: Complete LRGB Tutorial of NGC292, The Small Magellanic Cloud by Christian Sasse (iTelescope.net) and Mabula Haverkamp

2019 September: Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership!

Canon Banding Reduction  

RSS

(@rbarbout)
White Dwarf Customer
July 14, 2020 18:40  

Hi,

Would it be possible to add a Canon Banding Reduction option ?

Thanks,

Bob

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
July 17, 2020 21:35  

Do you see it remaining an issue in a stack? I think it should already be a signal in the bias or darks, might be mistaken.. Dithering will also reduce this.

ReplyQuote
(@rbarbout)
White Dwarf Customer
July 18, 2020 09:52  

Hi Vincent,

Yes, the banding is visible in the stack (see attached (extremely stretched) photos).

Before Banding Reduction

You are right to say it should be gone with darks.

However, since I use dithering and Bad Pixel Map, I found that I can process my photos with only Biases and Flats (as per option 1 in sticky post "Data calibration principles/rules") and achieve nearly the same result as with darks once the remaining banding is removed from the stack.

After Banding Reduction

For this I use the process integrated in other processing softwares but it would be nice to have this function directly into APP.

edit: Maybe the banding reduction would be even more effective if applied on each sub, during calibration ?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
July 19, 2020 09:33  

Yes that would work better, but it’s not going to improve the data dramatically I think. It will reduce it of course, but I think you still get a better result in this case by using darks as well. That will be the actual data and not “guessed” by an algorithm.

ReplyQuote
(@rbarbout)
White Dwarf Customer
July 21, 2020 09:43  

In fact, it seems that this problem cannot be entirely solved with darks as the banding is not constant from one image to another.
There was a Yahoo group on this subject but those groups are now dead.
I did a test adding darks and here is the result.

M13wDarks

Even though the problem has diminished, we can see that there are still bands.
I requested this feature because it is present in other programs and I thought it was a classic.
Unfortunately, this problem only affects Canon cameras (old ones ?) and only a few of them, I may be the only one who needs this feature.

ReplyQuote
Share: