Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

APP File names

4 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@scott_rosen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

When APP does an integration, it saves the file name with all the various parameters that were used in pre-processing it.  This can be helpful when trying integrations with different settings, but it also creates a very long filename that doesn't include any of the original info.  I know for me, this can be cumbersome, as I like to include things in my filename such as the filter used, focal length (helps identify the OTA), data captured, etc.

I think it would be helpful for APP to have either:

1)  A config option to prompt for file name when integrating (the alternative to use APP default naming)

OR

2)  When performing an integration, prompt for a filename with the APP default filename already preloaded into the filename box.

Scott -  http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Scott,

Yes, I fully agree with you. The current long file name (and auto-save) will soon be changed.

I have this in my priorities list, all integration information will be moved to the FITS or TIFF header, so the user will get the choice of saving the integration in 16/32 bits TIFF or FITS format as well.(32bits is default, because integration of plenty of frames increases bitdepth):

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/development-priorities/current-priorities/

Light frame integration: possibility to not use autosave, add all info to header of saved file (FITS and TIFF), give user the option to choose the saved file name

I think option 2 will be best, when you click on integrate, you will first choose/adjust the integration name and then the process starts. Would you agree?

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@scott_rosen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula - Sorry, I guess I should read through the priority list before making suggestions!  Yes, I think the second option would be best, although you may want to continue to have the default (suggested) filename be the name you're currently using.  In this way,  I might want to retain part that filename to remind me of aspects of how I integrated it (i.e., maybe I want to keep the -noMBB part of the filename).

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

No problem Scott 😉

Yes indeed, I will implement it like that. The proposed name stays the same and the user will be able to adjust, for instance add the object name and remove parts of the suggested name.

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: