Which de-Bayer algo...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Which de-Bayer algorithm for astrometry and/or photometry use?

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@hipoh)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Hi,

my question is: which is the best de-Bayering algorithm for astrometry and/or photometry when using the images from a one-shot color camera with a large FOV (short focal length) of several degrees?

Did somebody here already use the „Adaptive Airy Disc“ (AAD) algorithm for that purpose? Or would another de-bayer algorithm give better results? 

Probably I have to explain here, what the reason for this question is: currently I am doing an experiment using a one-shot CMOS color camera (with Sony IMX571 chip, APS-C format, back-illuminated) with 3.76 micron pixels on the 135mm Samyang Lens. This gives about 6“/pixel (without binning). I want to find out which astrometric/photometric precision can be obtained with this equipment. 

My first experience is that residuals (against ATLAS2 catalog) over this large FOV are in the range of 0.5 to 2.5 arcsec. All over! The photometric precision was a bit below 0.1 mag when restricting comp stars to 15 arcmin neighborhood. So far not too bad with such equipment (and without the de-bayer algorithm of APP).

Does anyone here have some experience with de-bayering and could give advice how best practice is for the mentioned purposes (and the above equipment)?

Best regards,
Hipoh 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @hipoh

Hi,

my question is: which is the best de-Bayering algorithm for astrometry and/or photometry when using the images from a one-shot color camera with a large FOV (short focal length) of several degrees?

Did somebody here already use the „Adaptive Airy Disc“ (AAD) algorithm for that purpose? Or would another de-bayer algorithm give better results? 

Probably I have to explain here, what the reason for this question is: currently I am doing an experiment using a one-shot CMOS color camera (with Sony IMX571 chip, APS-C format, back-illuminated) with 3.76 micron pixels on the 135mm Samyang Lens. This gives about 6“/pixel (without binning). I want to find out which astrometric/photometric precision can be obtained with this equipment. 

My first experience is that residuals (against ATLAS2 catalog) over this large FOV are in the range of 0.5 to 2.5 arcsec. All over! The photometric precision was a bit below 0.1 mag when restricting comp stars to 15 arcmin neighborhood. So far not too bad with such equipment (and without the de-bayer algorithm of APP).

Does anyone here have some experience with de-bayering and could give advice how best practice is for the mentioned purposes (and the above equipment)?

Best regards,
Hipoh 

Hi @hipoh,

Thank you very much for your interesting question.

I would suggest to you that you do try Adaptive Airy Disc, it should work well. But for best precision, do not demosaic/debayer at all, but rather use Bayer/X-Trans Drizzle, you can set this in 6) Integrate at the bottom 😉

Use Bayer/X-Trans drizzle and set the drizzle droplets to 2 pixels. That should give similar results as demosaicing/debayering in terms of resolution. If you set the droplets lower, you will gain resolution, but will also have more noise.

Let me know if this helps 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@hipoh)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin

Thanks for your valuable suggestions! I will try both and will report here about the results.

CS! hipoh 

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: