What's causing this...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

What's causing this weird halo?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@chrisboar)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

So this is Alintak in Orion's Belt. Quite pronounced colour  halo's around the bigger stars. Any idea what is causing this? I did have a LP filter in the imaging train. Is there some integration setting in APP to eliminate this? Thanks for any help.

halos

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Alnitak is a very bright and slightly blueish star. It looks to me as if the blue subs (or the blue channel in case of an OSC) are overexposed. If you want a more detailed answer then we would need to know exactly what telescope, camera and filters you used and which exposure time.

Clear skies, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@chrisboar)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@wvreeven

Thanks. Equipment used was H-A modified Nikon D5500. Scope AT65 edq. 300 second light subs. There was an IDAS-D1 LP filter on the D5500. 

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

I personally don’t have any experience with your equipment but I am pretty sure that 300 sec is much too long for such a bright star. As far as I know it is not possible to correct for that while processing the images. Not with APP nor any other software. But perhaps someone else on this forum knows a way to do it.

Clear skies, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Wouter is correct, it's simply in the data as it's over-exposed. That data you can't really fix, maybe a little bit by playing around with gradients tools, but that still won't be as nice as trying to get the data itself better. An HDR tool would then be really useful, unfortunately that's not in APP yet, but it is on the to-do list.

ReplyQuote
Share: