Improve performance...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Improve performance on network files

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rickwayne)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I have a Network Attached Storage box so that I can cheaply store bazillions of image files. If need be, I can copy things to and from my laptop's SSD for processing, but I wonder if it's the file mapper that's dogging so badly. If I set the working folder to one on my local device, and then created a symlink to the remote folder with the files, think that would speed things up? (Not sure my OS can actually do that, but it might be worth a try.)

Alternatively, can I tell APP to use a location other than the working directory for fast cached storage such as (I imagine) the file mapper?

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Processing via a NAS over a network will be incredibly slow as APP is using disk access a lot. A SSD locally is then optimal. A symlink to the NAS will then be the same thing, it still needs to access the files over the network.

ReplyQuote
(@lvigano)
Main Sequence Star

Maybe a raid 0 or 1 (or 10 if you have >4 disks) and a SSD Cache disk can speed up the things a little bit ...

Best,
Luciano

ReplyQuote
Share: