What delivers highe...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

What delivers higher stacking performance in these two options?

4 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@readyjetty)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi,

I stack up to 2-3000 frames sometimes including saving calibrated frames so I can get plain alignment on one shot color cameras.   So I start to run out of my internal solid-state drive space even though I have a 2 GB drive.

Niw I have an external hard drive that’s fairly fast (200mb/sec 14 Tb drive) so I’m trying to decide which of these two scenarios is faster:

1) keep all the source files and write the the calibrated frames on an external hard disk and use the internal drive only for the integration working storage.

or

2) keep all the source files and space for the calibrate frames on the internal solid-state drive and use an external hard disk for the integration working storage.

I’m assuming option number one would be faster because I’m expecting the integration working storage to be worked a lot harder and that the source files are essentially only read once or a small number of times.  Is my assumption correct?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@readyjetty If you're looking for performance during processing then simply copy all files over to your internal drive, process using the internal drive and copy the results back to the external drive.

ReplyQuote
(@readyjetty)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I guess I should’ve been more clear:  My internal drive is a very fast NVMe 2 TB SSD and cannot be upgraded and all the files and stacking procedures requires more than that.

So I either need to put them all on an external hard drive or split them and I’m asking if I split them should I use the internal very fast NVNe SSD as the working file space or for the source files, because I can’t use it for both.

ReplyQuote
(@dtc1999)
Red Giant

This is just my thinking for your situation. If you had a smaller stack, say 100 light frames, then the performance difference would probably go unnoticed either way. But considering you have up to 3,000 light frames to stack, I think you would see faster results if your light subs were stored on the SSD and you did the final integration to your external drive. 

That is a lot of light frames that APP will have to access individually, so over the course of the entire process, keeping the light frames on the SSD would seem to work better. Then if my thinking is correct, APP would only have to write one integration file to your slower external drive.

ReplyQuote
Share: