Very basic problem ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

31 July 2020 - Comet Registration video tutorial using APP 1.083-beta1 released.

30 July 2020 - APP 1.083-beta1 has been released introducing Comet processing! This 1st beta has comet registration. The stable release will also include special comet integration modes.

9 July 2020 - New and updated video tutorial using APP 1.081: Complete LRGB Tutorial of NGC292, The Small Magellanic Cloud by Christian Sasse (iTelescope.net) and Mabula Haverkamp

2019 September: Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership!

Very basic problem with interface - AMD RYZEN incompatibility ?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
February 26, 2020 18:11  
Posted by: @stephent

@mabula-admin

Hi Mabula, will test as & when available, thanks.

One thing I noticed (and it may be nothing), when you open a load frame dialogue box, the buttons on the left of the screen turn from grey to white. When you close the dialogue box, the buttons are redrawn grey from white, but this takes some time (maybe a whole second for all of the buttons). This struck me as odd on a new and fairly powerful computer, as if something resource-heavy is happening. 

As I say, it might be nothing, but it might provide an additional clue for you.

Best,

Stephen. 

Hi @stephent & @tiku,

Thank you, yes, that is quite indicative of a problem with the graphical system ... I suspect that somehow there is a problem with either directx or OpenGL on your machines for some reason.

One thing that you could check, when APP starts, disable OpenGL for the image viewer with the top left GL2,GL3,GL4 button by clicking once, it will turn oragne and say OpenGL. Then OpenGL is disabled for the image viewer. Then process as normal and let me know if the screen corruption still will happen at some point, thanks 😉

Mabula

Stephen T liked
ReplyQuote
(@tiku)
Brown Dwarf Customer
March 1, 2020 10:26  

@mabula-admin

Hi,

I think I found the workaround.. putting machine to sleep and waking it up fixed the issue.

ReplyQuote
(@mohman)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
March 5, 2020 05:56  

I downloaded 1.077 on a 30 day trial and I am intermittently seeing this exact behavior as well.   It's like the user interface isn't redrawing properly.  The widgets are in the right locations because you can mouse where a button should be and click it.  If it's going to happen it's usually while I'm loading various frames in step 1 (no rhyme or reason).  My system is a bit dated:

Windows 10 (1903)

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU - @ 3.40GHz 4 Cores
RAM - 8 GB  (APP is configured to use 4 GB)

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

Radeon Software Version 20.1.4 (released 1/24/2020)

I'm using a "Standard" profile - no gaming or eSports.

screencap2
screencap1

ReplyQuote
(@millo007)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 12, 2020 19:31  

@mabula-admin

Hello Mabula,

I'm a first time user, having just downloaded the trial last night.  I'm seeing what I believe is the same problem (continuous redraw events making the application impossible to use).  I have a Windows 10 workstation with two 4K monitors (extended), and at first the problem seemed to subside when I moved the application to the secondary monitor, but now it happens regardless of monitor I move the application to.

I have not seen very recent updates to this post, so I thought I would ask what you would need to troubleshoot this issue.  I'm certainly willing to help.

My system's specs: 

CPU: Intel Core i7-8650K

RAM: 32 GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB)

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
July 17, 2020 20:54  

Sorry for the delay (busy days). Are you still having these issues? Could you try to see if this also happens when using 1 monitor?

ReplyQuote
(@millo007)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 23, 2020 20:29  

@vincent-mod

Yes, I'm still experiencing this issue, and it still happened after I booted with just 1 monitor.  Anything else I could try, or any logs I could obtain for you?

ReplyQuote
(@bcolyn)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 25, 2020 10:46  

Hey, sorry to bump into the thread but I wanted to chime in and note that I have also frequently experienced this bug. I've just been able to reproduce it rather quickly after upgrading to 1.082 (see screenshot). I've noticed this problem since (I believe) the beginning of the year so one of the pre-1.076 betas.

What seems to be a quick way to trigger it is to have a JFileChooser (like the open file dialog for selecting the work dir) and hovering over either the details button top right or the cancel button bottom right until a tooltip appears that overlaps with both the main application frame and the modal dialog. Often it triggers on the first try, sometimes switching between those 2 buttons's tooltips triggers it sooner or later.

I strongly suspect this is a Java2D Direct3D or OpenGL acceleration issue. Note that APP's use of OpenGL for the image renderer does not seem to make an impact whether I toggle that on or off before triggering the glitch (not that I would expect it to if this is a problem at the platform level). What does strike me as weird is that I use other Java/Swing based applications like IntelliJ IDEA on a daily basis and they do not exhibit this behaviour. 

If there's anything I can do to help feel free to ping me at my email too.

Some system details:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Memory: 65536MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Display Memory: 40813 MB
Nvidia Driver version: 451.67 (latest)
Dual monitors 3440x1440 + 1920x1080, problem also occurs over RDP single screen at 1920x1080

Capture
This post was modified 3 weeks ago by bcolyn

ReplyQuote
(@bcolyn)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 25, 2020 10:59  

Sorry to poke my nose where it does not belong perhaps, but on a hunch after typing my previous post I had a peek around and adding:

-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

to [JVMOptions] in AstroPixelProcessor.cfg 

to disable Direct3D drawing acceleration seems to completely stop the glitching for me. UI performance is acceptable (unaltered, as far as I can tell) so for me this is an OK workaround for now.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
July 25, 2020 21:41  

No problem at al @bcolyn this might be very valuable info. I also use IntelliJ btw. (just starting out) 😉 . I'll forward this to @mabula-admin as he has the experience for this one.

ReplyQuote
(@bcolyn)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 25, 2020 21:56  

@vincent-mod glad to be of help then. Desktop Java is a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) for me (Swing and SWT, JavaFX didn't exist yet), but the server side is still my day job so I have a complete environment here (Win64+Linux). If there's anything I can do to help (logs, running test suites or debug builds) I'll be happy to help.

(@millo007)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 26, 2020 03:09  

@bcolyn @vincent-mod @@mabula-admin

I will try running with -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false as @bcolyn suggested.  I will follow up regarding this workaround.  It's funny to see how many of us share similar interests and professions 😀 This setting disables the Java 2D Direct3D pipeline, so I wonder if that will result in significant performance degradation for large stacking and integration jobs.  But if it works, that's still better than not being able to use the software.

I tried searching for other posts about this problem and could not find any.  Given how easy it is to trigger it, and how often I have seen it, I'm wondering why more users have not experienced it.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
July 31, 2020 11:55  

So it has something to do with the latest gfx cards, Mabula (@mabula-admin) knows about it and hopes to fix it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: