Stacking Comet ZTF

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Stacking Comet ZTF

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@woldsweather)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

A video on YT mentions a way of stacking a comet with stars and getting no trailing from the comet or the stars? Is this possible without clicking on every image (on the nucleus)?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Dear Trevor,

I am not sure to what video you refer to. Currently, APP does not yet provide a come stack withour sharp stars and a sharp comet out-of-the-box. We do have this on our ToDo list though.

If APP asks you to select the comet nucleus in each image, it means it is a very weak comet (or your exposure time is rather short). On brighter comets, APP will only ask you this in the 1st and last image.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @woldsweather

Other reasons for APP to ask the comet nucleus in each image can be:

• The data for each sub is rather noisy
  • Or the time intervals between exposures is a bit too long, normally the exposures are directly shot after each other, maybe you have delays between each exposure?

It could be that your data is simply close to the threshold for detection in the current comet detection  algorithm. I will try to work in this in the coming days actually.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@woldsweather)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Now uploaded Mabula.

ReplyQuote
(@slaughters85j)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin is there a procedure I can reference for comet stacking?  Not sure if there is a load parameter that is specific for comets or later in the processing chain. I don't see an option for clicking the comet's nucleus.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Share: