RGBHOO Combination ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] RGBHOO Combination in APP

7 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
(@jeffreyhorne)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi friends. I have a OSC camera (ASI2600MC). I'm working on an RGBHOO project right now. I have my RGB data from an IR cut filter, and my HOO data from an Optolong L-eXtreme filter.

When I integrate only as RGB with the IR cut filter data, my image looks like this:

Screenshot 2022 11 23 at 8.23.33 AM

When I process it as RGBHOO, I'm using the RGB channels from the IR cut filter, and then adding H from the L-eXtreme filter (HOO Extract HA) and the Oiii from the L-eXtreme filter (HOO Extract Oiii). I then use the RGB combine tool to assign each file to its proper channel. However, when I do this, the image seems to "subdue" the RGB dust in the image in favor of the H-alpha signal. You can see the RGBHOO version here:

Screenshot 2022 11 23 at 8.28.16 AM

I'm looking to preserved the luminosity and dust of the RGB image, while adding in highlights of hydrogen and oxygen. It's almost as if it's using a different blend mode than I was expecting, or the RGB channels are sacrificing their luminosity for the hydrogen signal.

Any thoughts on how I can better blend these channels using the RGB combine tool? Do I need to combine the RGB data into a single mono luminance channel and add it? I'm not sure how to go about getting the blend that I'm looking for, but any advice is welcomed!

Thanks,

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You're on the right track I think, making a "super-luminance" may be a good idea and adding that in the combine tool. I will probably tune the luminance to about 30% at first and increase the contribution or G and B maybe, by increasing the top muliply slider in the formula.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jeff @jeffreyhorne,

Wow, that looks very nice data 😉 !

For a RGBHOO composite, (or RGBSHO) I would recommend the following workflow:

1. Make the RGB composite first, tune it as much as you can to your liking
  2. Same for the HOO (or any other NB composite like SHO)
  3. Now the key is that you need to combine these 2 separate composites now, so load your RGB + your HOO composite into the TOOL again after having cleared/restarted the tool.
  4. If the luminance of RGB must prevail, like you indicate, to keep the RGB dust intact, make sure that you assign L for 100% in total from the R,G,B channels (regular L would be R=20%L, G=70%L and B=10%L roughly 😉 )
  5. Keep the multipliers the same for the RGB channels and also for the HOO channels as well. For instance, set RGB multipliers all to 1.0 and set HOO multipliers all to 2. Then finetune the HOO multipliers while keeping them in sync until you get an awesome RGBHOO composite.

This is actually the workflow to get an RGB SHO composite with star color calibrated stars, like this one:

Rosette SHORGB

Please let us know if this workflow helps with your data and specific purpose 😉

ReplyQuote
(@jeffreyhorne)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Thank you, gentlemen! @mabula-admin & @Vincent-Mod

This is very helpful! 

I won't have enough data to finish this until January, but I'll be testing these methods up until the image is complete. 

Thank you so much!

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@jeffreyhorne)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin for your instructions, are these done in a linear state?

ReplyQuote
(@jeffreyhorne)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin I got this working. Brilliant. Worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Excellent Jeffrey @jeffreyhorne !! Thanks for your feedback 😉 Indeed, all is done in linear states, only then it makes sense to use multipliers and such... for a composite.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: