Progress indicator ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Progress indicator focus

12 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@xsnrg)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Greetings!  I have been bitten very many times now by the progress indicator window popping up and taking focus, thereby causing my next key-press to cancel whatever progress had been made.  I will kick off a big batch and go do something else on the machine while I wait for it to process.  The Progress... window pops up with focus at each transition. My suggestion would be to not have it take over focus, or maybe add a check box to the bottom of the window where the user could toggle if they would like it to take focus or not?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi xsnrg,

Ai, you're the first to mention this behaviour. I assume you tap a key to wake-up the system from some energy saving mode?

If so, do you use the "enter" key, or just space or any other key to wake the system up?

Maybe it's usefull to know on what Operating System this occurs?

On my windows 7 and windows 10 machines I never seem to experience this problem, and I usually tap the "space" bar to wake-up my screen from energy saving mode.

I'll do some testing to check if I can trigger the unwanted cancellation.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@xsnrg)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I am running Linux, Fedora 26 to be exact.  My scenario is to kick off a set of processing, such as clicking the integration button, and having APP start in on star analysis.  At the point it switches from star analysis to the next step, the Progress... window receives system focus, so if I am typing a letter or something else, all key-presses end up being delivered to the Progress... window, including some, I guess, that trigger the cancel button.  It is also possible that I try to close a non-APP window with a keyboard shortcut and because the focus changed to the APP Progress... window, it closes that. 

Does this help?

Even with this minor problem, I am really enjoying the software and its capabilities.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Oh, okay, i'll test this on some Linux distributions then, this will certainly help. Thanks 😉

It will have to do with how the windowing system works on the particular OS. And on Linux, we have different systems, KDE/GNOME and even others, so I need to test the different systems then.

On windows and MacOS this problem does not occur as far a I am aware.

I'll make a note in my priorites list for this. Added to top of medium priorities.

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/development-priorities/current-priorities/

Thanks and kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@xsnrg)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Greetings.  Today I am processing some data from last night while trying to write an email.  Every time a new progress window came up, it received focus.  I will have to see if I can change this behaviour in gnome or something, because my processing was cancelled every time as I was typing along hitting the space bar 😉  I will look for a "new window always receives focus type of setting.  If I find one, I will post back in the case it also helps others.  I was wondering though, if you did have any time to experiment  with this?

Thanks

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jim,

thank you for reminding me of the behaviour. It's still on my list to test, I'll try to do this before releasing the next version 😉

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jim,

I am working on this issue currently, so hopefully it is fixed in 1.056.

Can you test the following for me on your linux system:

Push the top left CFG button and disable the console, then process some lights using star analysis, registration, normalization etc.. while working in another application. Does APP still get focus when a new process like registration starts?

I am testing it on Linux Mint 17.1 with a KDE desktop. With the console open, APP will claim focus on this linux distribution. It won't on Windows or MacOS. With the console closed, the problem is not there on Linux Mint.

So the problem seems related to the Console Window popping op when a new process starts and that would then trigger the Linux Operating System focus on APP.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jim,

After more testing, my suggestion above is not the whole story.

The progressmonitor window actually causes the troublesome behaviour on Linux. On linux when it's popped up, the application that pops it up, gets focus in the Linux OS.

I'll try to have it fixed.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@xsnrg)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Thank you for looking into this Mabula.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jim,

To solve the problem, I will have to make a custom progress panel with cancel buttons that show during each process. Currently I am using a solution directly from the Java Development Kit.

It's no problem, since it is long overdue to do this myself, it will enable me to report more information on progress during each process and should solve your issue on Linux at the same time 😉

So, hopefully fixed in APP 1.057...

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@xsnrg)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Sounds great.  Thanks for your research and hard work!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jim @xsnrg,

Apologies that it took a long time, but I am happy to announce that APP 1.060 will not have this focus problem on Linux anymore 😉

APP versions 1.059 and below used original progress monitors from the Oracle Java JDK and they had the problem that the focus couldn't be changed.

So now I have written my own Progress Monitor implementation, with the benefit of having complete control.

So from APP 1.060, the Progress Monitors will either be in a separate frame or completely integrated in APP's main window. If you run a process from 2)-6) then the progress monitors won't be pop-up frames that claim focus, but they will be integrated in APP's image viewer.

So this should benefit everyone on Linux distributions.

NewProgressMonitors

Kind regards,

Mabula

xsnrg reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: