19 June 2021: Our upload server https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/ has been migrated successfully to our new office with higher upload and download speeds (nearly 10MByte/sec up/down ) ! We now have 1 general upload user called: upload with password: upload. The users upload1 - upload5 have been disabled.
31 May 2021: APP 1.083-beta2 has been released ! APP 1.083 stable will follow soon afterwards. It includes a completely new Star Reducer Tool, New File Saver Module, Improved Comet registration and much more, check the release notes here!
OSC Stars not stacking properly after upgrade to 1.071
I have happily been using APP for my OSC images regularly with very good result. It was all fine up until and including the beta version of 1.071. However, after installing the final 1.071 version something happened. I can't get the stars of the subs to stack properly.
This is what the integrated result looks like now
In the earlier version, using the same settings (all default except for Bayer CF pattern set to GRBG and Force Bayer CFA enabled) it used to come out like this
Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong here? I can't figure it out.
I must correct myself. The last successful integration of the above was on 1.070
Dear Anders @andersstange,
This definitely looks like a problem with star detection, could you send me a couple of the light frames and I will fix this as soon as possible 😉
Your data is not well in focus it seems and/or the star sizes are a bit big. To automatically detect this can be a bit hard, so if you can send me 1-3 light frames it will further improve this detection in APP.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.
Thank you Mabula,
I have send you 2 sets of 3 light frames via WeTransfer. 1 set for NGC772 as shown above but also 1 for NGC4565 using the same OSC and optical system. These light frames I think are of better quality but still with the same problem when integrated.
Thank you very much 😉 I have received the data and will try to fix this as soon as possible !
Hi Anders @andersstange ,
I have found the issue with your data yesterday. Another APP user, @1cm69, also experienced difficulties with star analysis and registration and his issue was directly related. It turned out that hot pixels were detected as stars and not the stars. To solve this issue, I have added a new algorithm in the star analysis module that is capable of better discrimination between hot pixels and stars 😉
So the good news is that APP 1.072 will have the solution to this problem. All the testdata that I have including the data of you both work now robustly (without problems).
at the bottom:
FIXED, IMPROVED, STAR ANALYSIS, star detection has been further improved by adding an algorithm that better discrimates between hot pixels/small FWHM stars/big FWHM stars. Some users experienced difficulties because hot pixels were detected as stars. The added algorithm studies the star size/FWHM distribution initially found. The details of the distribution are very usefull to make the discrimination between hot pixels/small FWHM stars/big FWHM stars.
I will try to release APP 1.072 within 1-2 days now 😉
That is fantastic! I’m looking forward to the new release.