2022-09-02: APP 2.0.0-beta4 has been released !
Download links per platform:
Star Analysis is suddenly taking a very long time
First post, been using APP for around 12 months or so. Recently (as in this week) my star analysis takes an age, I have loaded around 100 lights into APP and started a run, star analysis started at 09:45 and now at 10:30 it has only analysed 22 lights. For clarity this step used to take maybe a couple of minutes. Nothing on my PC has changed, have I accidentally bumped a setting in APP or something? Any thoughts?
I have added a screen grab to show what I mean its takes well over 1 minute per light frame. This used to take a few seconds per frame. I am using APP version 1.083.4
Tricky to say, are you using a different location for your data perhaps?
Fair question, short answer is no, same location and its an NVMe drive so not like read/write is an issue, I should say all the other steps are lightning quick
Interesting, I wouldn't have a good idea as to why that happens other than a hardware IO issue somehow. Very silly question, but does a restart of the system have any influence?
Nope no change and I have fast boot disabled (I have another application that hates fast boot being on)
I am a bit stumped as to what is causing it, I can see the CPU spikes dropping massively in between and during each sub run during the star analysis phase where as before it would stay at 100% until it was done. It feels like I have bumped a setting somewhere in APP but the Star Analysis tab basically has one option the star detection is set to auto and 500 stars. I wonder if thats too many perhaps. Though I dont recall having changed this or had it at a different number previously..
Yes, me too, maybe I can check your files if you want to see if star analysis is fast on them or somehow cause an issue? I think that's very unlikely though. Do you have the possibility to test it on another fast drive?
aaaand now it's fine, well different data set, from Cygnus rather than Cassiopeia but the Star Analysis for this data took 2 minutes like normal. Must be something to do with the sould neb region! Oh well at least it's ok for now!
and the issue has returned! Can I get some test data to someone to see if they have the same issue as me? Its not going to take 3 or so hours to run 145 frames through Star Analysis!
Oh dear, that is very strange. Would you be able to try out the new beta 3 version of APP 2.0? Still don't think that will help, but just in case...
I am suffering from the same issue in one of my datasets... I have 196 lights that are now star analysed for over 24h now... It takes almost 5-6mins to analyse the sub... I will wait until it is done as the computer is running already, however I will check if new beta will solve that issue. I am using USB 3.2 portable hard drive and have not such an issue so far...
@sidiouss Hi! Even though you haven't had issues before, I suspect that the external HD is the culprit. APP is very I/O intensive and external HDs are notoriously slow in the respect. You may want to consider copying your data to the internal HD for processing or buying an SDD because those are MUCH faster.
@mabula-admin Thanks, I will check that for sure. APP proceeded to the Normalization now which looks quite fast as usual, so I will check after the integration newer version of APP. (So far I am using beta 2.0)
@mabula-admin I'd like to confirm that the beta 2.0 was the cause of the slow star analysis. Beta 4.0 fixes this problem so far 🙂
I have tested beta 4.0 and it is faster than the previous releases. Unfortunately, however the star analysis should be more robust it actually cannot detect stars properly. It was able to detect stars in 96 from 180 subframes whereas downrevision to 1.083.4 could properly star analyse all the frames...