Share:
Notifications
Clear all

New Computer Specs

(@whixson)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

Hi! About to pull the trigger on a new Velocity Microsystems workstation PC primarily for Astro image processing and regular photo processing. $7500 budget. Looking for comments on the primary specs for using with APP and other AP software like PI

Threadripper 3 24-core processor

128 GB main memory

11TB Enmotus hybrid drive for boot and main image storage. This is 1 TB high speed SSD and 10 TB HDD 
2 1-TB drives in RAID0 for working directory/swap files. 

NVIDIA 8GB Ti 3060 video card

Any comments/suggestions welcome!

Wayne

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

Uhhhhm, maybe add an Espresso machine to use next to it? 😉

Whixson liked
ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Thanks! For me that’s actually a good idea.

For past 4 years I’ve been using a Dell laptop with quad core Xeon, 2 fast SSD drives, and 64 GB memory. It was fine until getting into CMOS camera (QHY268C) with large files and hundreds of them to process. It appears that the best way to speed things up is as many cores and as much memory as affordable gets the biggest improvements? As well as fast storage. Not sure if the GPU makes much difference though. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

I'd love to have an espresso machine again, will get there soon.

Yes, if you want to do super complex data analysis, a lot of memory and cores is always beneficial. The GPU isn't as much yet, not until we support GPU processing, but you'll be well prepared for that then.

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod good! Even though it’s easy to load data into APP and run it automatically, I was waiting 4 or more hours for completion of a typical session. And getting 6 panels done for a mosaic was a weekend project! 😂

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

Ah yes, well apart from the machine, we are updating APP to be more efficient and faster all the time. When the GPU support arrives it will crunch even faster through the new bigger data.

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Red Giant Customer
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod after leasing APP for several years, I purchased the Owner license yesterday!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

That's very kind, thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@brendanc)
Main Sequence Star Customer

GPU support would be awesome.

sparna liked
ReplyQuote
Share: