Multi session stack...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Multi session stacking

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 WB91
(@blanshan91)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Mabula,

If you had multi nights of data and from 2 different scopes, how would you suggest stacking them into one integration?

a) Stack each session and create masters, then stack the masters?

b) Save all the calibrated light frames for each session and stack into one integration?

if (a), what do you suggest for integration settings if you had 8 sessions total?  

if (b) what do you suggest for rejection criteria i.e. adaptive?  And, do you pick to stack, say, 50% or 75% of the best frames?

Regards,

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Bill,

What I would do in such a case, would depend on the amount of data basically. If the data of each scope comprises, say, 800 subs or so. I would opt for making masters of those first and then combine it with the second setup. Which would be your a-case. In that case I would load all sessions (given each session has its own calibration data) for 1 scope and use the standard settings APP already has, but with MBB and LNC switched on as it's expected that the background/illumination will vary among sessions. Same for scope 2, then you clear all data and load in the masters for each scope as lights, without calibration data of course and integrate those.

In the b-case and loading everything at once, you make sure to switch off "same camera and optics" and integrate with standard settings as well. That should work fine, MBB and LNC on there as well and you could opt for stacking 90-95% of the frames. That percentage will depend on what you know about the data, do you expect a lot of bad frames due to tracking issues etc, then you could lower that etc.

ReplyQuote
 WB91
(@blanshan91)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod   Thanks Vince!!

One more question please.   what if I were to take the reference frame after running the normalized lights tab, and removed the light pollution from this light frame, then reloaded back into APP and set it back to reference.    Would LNC adjust the other light frames to match this light frame with removed gradient? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I don't think so necessarily. I would just either let APP choose the reference frame (which should be the best in terms of star shape and/or SNR) or you choose a good one, but LNC should then work just fine and with LP correction your result can then be very even in the background.

ReplyQuote
Share: