Meridian Flipping

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Meridian Flipping

6 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

The other night I did my first imaging session which required a Meridian Flip. I'm using an ASI294MC Pro cooled camera. I'm also imaging the Dark Shark nebula. I noticed after the Flip that all the images after the Meridian flip were 180 degrees flipped as well, pointing in opposite direction...

So I had about 80 images with the shark facing one way and about 40 that were pointed 180 degrees in the opposite direction...

My question, will APP see this and put these in the proper position before stacking them for me? Or do I have to manually rotate them all myself first, before running them thru APP...

I thought these dedicated cameras it didn't matter about a Flip and they would all be in the same position. Maybe I'm wrong, obviously I am...

I think when I rotated these that it messed up my image creating Gradients, a massive amount of the stuff too!!

Thanks,

Rod

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rockinrod APP detects this automatically so no need to rotate the images manually.

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@wvreeven

Awesome! Now I know...

Another question related to the above issue. When I rotated those 40 or so images manually, I was told that the APP software loses it's ability on those frames to read the FIT data, thus causing this Gradient and Light Pollution problem in my images. Messing up my entire session...This does seem to be what is going on here. No matter how many subs I add trying to improve the image, it seems to get worse with more data!

Make sense?  Thanks!

Rod

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rockinrod When you rotate the images manually, they will end up being rotated with respect to the flats and darks, unless you rotate those as well. The result is that APP cannot perform a proper calibration which leads to all kinds of issues. So, yes, what you say makes sense. In short: do not manually rotate any files. APP can handle them very well as they come out of the camera.

Rodney Bell reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@wvreeven

Roger Dat...Will do, or not do...(:>

ReplyQuote
(@woldsweather)
Red Giant

@wvreeven I am just trying for the first time to process pre flip and post flip images. Initially I am trying without calibration frames so just lights, but I don't get a stacked image at the end.

APP

ReplyQuote
Share: