Is 686 images too m...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Is 686 images too many for APP?

8 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@chuck666)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

I am integrating 686 images that are 39.4mb ea. APP is using 336.3 GB of free SDD. I have 11 threads set as available and 28 gb of Ram available. Using trail version 1.082. After 5.5 hours, I'm just at 37% completed and running integrating pixels as I write.

Is this correct? Another 11 hours to complete? DSS would take about 2 hours and AsiDeepStack about the same. Siri would be about 20 hours. 

Chuck

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@chuck666 Can you tell us more about the configuration used in APP? Did you simply load the lights and calibration files, go to tab 6 and hit the integrate button or did you modify any of the settings in tabs 2 to 6? Are all images of the same framing or did you load a mosaic? What stage of processing in APP is taking so long?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Also, keep in mind that DSS internally uses way simpler algorithms than APP. APP has chosen to have quality up-front, resulting in tricky data to be processed nicely. But this does come at the cost of it taking longer. With that many frames, creating sub-integrations first is preferred.

ReplyQuote
(@chuck666)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wouter

@vincent

Thanks for replying. I basically did the full default settings per the Charles Bracken pdf. I Changed MBB to 5 %..

Two image sets. One of group of 480 and another of 206. Same 30 ea of darks, flats and dark flats. Stages 2-5 have taken 1h 16min. Stage 6 started at 19:12 last night. As I type at 06:23; it's says 69% complete.

This is my first try to see if I like the SW. I really like the interface; but not this processing time.

"With that many frames, creating sub-integrations first is preferred." Don't know what that means??

Thank you.

Chuck

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Posted by: @chuck666

"With that many frames, creating sub-integrations first is preferred." Don't know what that means??

It means to split up the data set into smaller sets of, say, 100 frames per set and integrate those 100 frames of each sub-set separately. You can then load those sub-integrations again as lights (don't load any calibration files) and integrate those sub-integrations into a new integration which will be your final result.

ReplyQuote
(@chuck666)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

Thank you on the sub answer. It just finished integrating the 686 images. @09:10. About 12.2 hours total. 

Is that typical?

I want to save as 16bit; not 32 bit? Is that possible in this SW? I am now going to try Post using APP. Again, using the basic defaults from the Bracken pdf.

Last question for now. Will 1.083 Beta 2 be faster?

Again, thanks for supporting me. During this quest.

Chuck

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Not by a lot no, we constantly are improving the speed and in the future will have gpu support as well etc. Dividing the work in sub-sets makes it a lot faster as well.

Saving as 16-bit is also possible, when you have the final integration and stretch as you want, you press the save button on the top right. There you can choose some formats.

ReplyQuote
(@chuck666)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Actually, that just allows file type changes. Tiff, JPEG and FITS. You have to go into "batch modify" and you can change the bittedness. But I found it. Thanks

I have a speed issue and it's probably me. I still have all the files loaded from when I first ran the integrate sequence. I switched to the tool menu and went to rotate the image and it takes nearly 2 minutes for the update. That just doesn't make sense?? One must have to close and restart the APP app to do "TOOLS"??

Chuck

Edit. Closing and restarting APP improved the speed to and acceptable level. Also, I stand corrected, you can change bittedness of the TIFF file type.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Charles Willford

ReplyQuote
Share: