macOS Apple Silicon...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] macOS Apple Silicon - Image viewer crashing - beta 20

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jdwood)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi,

Have just upgraded to beta 20 and am experiencing crashes while doing a mosaic of previously stacked panels. Everything goes fine and APP announces that it has finished and saves the file but, when it tries to load it into the image viewer, APP quits and I get a message saying that 'Java quit unexpectedly'.  

I can open the final mosaic that APP created in a FITS viewer with no problems (and it looks nice) and I can re-load it into APP if I restart the software....but as soon as I try to load it into the image viewer then it crashes everything again.  The Mosaic is 2GB but I am running an M1 Mac with 64GB memory.

I have the Apple crash log for when Java quits if that helps (but not sure how to export it - could do a screen shot of the first page)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks, Jon

Edit by Mabula: fixed in 2.0.0-beta29

This topic was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks for the report, I'll notify Mabula!

ReplyQuote
(@jdwood)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I have now tried to reproduce this strange behaviour using both beta 9 and beta 2 (albeit on a different - Intel based - Mac). In these cases the Java does not crash but the image viewer displays quite a colourful result - see below!

As before with beta 20, the mosaic is actually produced without any problem and can be easily viewed with a FITS viewer....it just seems to cause problems for the APP image viewer. I enclose the mosaic file as seen in QuickFits for comparison.

beta 2 result
result with QuickFits

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for sharing your issue,

I am working on a stability issue with beta20 with the highest priority. I think you might suffer from this as well. I will release a new version with the fix a.s.a.p.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jdwood)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

many thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@jdwood)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I'm afraid that I still can't open a mosaic created in APP in the image viewer, even with beta 22. Loads into APP OK but when I double click it to open in the image viewer, it starts to load, gets to about 90%, then crashes both Java and APP. Need to restart computer to recover Java. M1 Mac running OS 13.4.1. Mosaics are about 2 GB and I have tried several of them with the same result.  As noted above they open fine in a FITS viewer so don't appear to be corrupted?

Java crash2

ReplyQuote
(@jdwood)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

p.s. I have just determined that this is related to the Open GL button. With this on? (ie green) the image viewer will crash, with it off (orange CPU showing) then it will load the file fine. Don't know what that means but it is reproducible...

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Pressing that button will disable the use of a GPU to be used for the viewer (and enables CPU rendering). This apparently points to either a driver issue or something else, as you're using a Mac I'll ask Mabula what he thinks.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jon @jdwood,

Thank you very much for reporting this.

This error is clear, something does not work well with OpenGL on the new Apple Silicon computers and this error is very likely caused by a bug in an external library that we use to support OpenGL with APP. I need to report this error upstream so they can fix this in their library. To be sure, can you upload the mosaic file here, so I can test it as well on my M1 mac, maybe I can create a workaround for now to have APP load the image automatically with OpenGL disabled so the application does not crash.

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

username: uploadData

password: uploadTestData

Please make a folder like : JonWoodhead-OpenGL-AppleSilicon-bug

and let me know once uploaded.

To be clear, this bug has been introduced by using a newer version of this OpenGL library a couple of versions ago, beta2 and beta9 were using an older version which also did not work well as you got the rainbow result, the rainbow happens if the texture size is reported incorrectly or if the library fails to read it correctly from the macOS OpenGL driver.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jdwood)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

thanks for looking at this Mabula,

I have uploaded an example file as requested. Sorry that it is large - these are 'intermediate panels' of a very large mosaic that I have been working on. Still need to work out whether my machine has the strength to pull all of them together into a final image!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jon @jdwood,

This issue is finally fixed in 2.0.0-beta29. APP will not crash and the image will be shown properly on Apple Silicon macs. Thank you very much for your patience 😉

Will try to release it soon!

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jdwood)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin great news! All thanks to you for all your hard work Mabula.  cheers, Jon

ReplyQuote
Share: