Encountering a prob...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-05-29: APP 2.0.0-beta2 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta2

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta2

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta2

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta2

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta2

Encountering a problem I've never seen...

(@lead_weight)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  

I'm encountering a new problem that I've not seen before, and I can't figure out what the issue is. 

Two nights ago I shot (in NINA 1.10) and fully calibrated a narrowband target data set with the attached bias and darks.

Last night, I shot a new narrowband target in NINA 1.10 HF1, and used the same attached bias and darks to calibrate this new set of narrowband images. I've examined the headers and they appear to be identical to the previous set of images, but for some reason when calibrating this new set of images, applying darks is doing something very strange. I can't imagine there's a big difference between these two versions of NINA. But when creating new masters, two BAD pixel maps are created because the lights and flats have CCD in the camera name, and the bias and darks don't even though the camera is the same for both.

Here's the stacked uncalibrated image.

not calibrated

And then the stacked and calibrated image showing the issue. These are stretched images.

calibrated

Here's a link to download a set of 10 light, bias, dark, and flats that I'm using if anyone can tell where the issue is.

Dropbox Files

ReplyQuote
(@lead_weight)
Topic starter  

OH, I should add one crucial bit of information. I used the same darks and bias to calibrate LRGB from last nights session, and it calibrated perfectly. It's only the HA that did not calibrate, and those are the files I included above.

ReplyQuote
(@lead_weight)
Topic starter  

I've completely reshot all masters, this includes new master dark, flat, dark flat, and bias. Doing a full calibration run exhibits the same results.

Running flats only results in a more normal image. 

Running darks only results in the same issue as above. So this has something to do with darks.

ReplyQuote
(@lead_weight)
Topic starter  

Here's a close up image showing the results of a calibrated integration.

Screen Shot 2020 11 02 at 1.59.52 PM

ReplyQuote
(@lead_weight)
Topic starter  

I think I've tracked this issue down to a pedestal issue. The median ADU of both my bias and dark are above the median ADU of my lights. But I cannot seem to get pedestal values added to the images using the batch add process. 

What steps and value would I need to add to get these images to work?

ReplyQuote
(@lead_weight)
Topic starter  

Solved my own problem. I had to add a pedestal value of 1800. The program shows 0.0 for the pedestal value in the header, but it is applying a pedestal to the images, and they process correctly once you get the right value.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

Ok lots going on here, so basically the pedestal is not updating in the header you say?

ReplyQuote
Share: