Comparison of diffe...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Comparison of different stacking programs

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@yellowhorsehead)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hey,

just found a comparison of the most widely used stacking softwares. 

just some random youtuber but still interesting to watch. 
as far as my opinion goes i can say that i always liked the final images out of app the most. 

App is just great software. At the same time i think there are a few things that could get better. 

things like a photometric color calibration or scnr would be great to have. I also would absolutely love to see a better ui (completely new designed) and a focus on opening the software for third party developers. 
things like starnet or noise x terminator are just so good that it makes little to no sense to invest dev time in own star removal tools and similar like app did. Just my opinion of course. 

ReplyQuote
(@ggalbch)
Main Sequence Star

Hmmm, the random YouToober as you call him, is Nico Carver from Nebula Photos and he is well respected in the Astrophotography world and he is promoting/supporting this hobby quite successful. 

I do like APP myself with all its corkiness, especially for mosaic work. I agree with your points that it could be improved and implementing third party tools is actually a great suggestion. The post integration part of software is confusing with its sliders at the best.

CS, Georg

ReplyQuote
(@digitaliz-se)
Red Giant

I wonder what settings he used when comparing the data.

Also how good his subs are.

For instance, APP is choosing the stacking algoritm by itself (auto) while ASTAP use average. DSS has standard options but can suggest changes.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah, a classic comparison. The issue with most of these is that it's extremely important you know the ins and outs of every program. Settings will differ between them etc and those have to be explained well. Didn't watch the video yet, but if he is popular I do hope he knows how to use everything well (and looking at some comments about both APP, but also Affinity, he apparently doesn't). Doesn't mean it's bad to compare or anything, but you always should look at more than 1 reviewer.

ReplyQuote
(@yellowhorsehead)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vincent-mod

Ah, a classic comparison. The issue with most of these is that it's extremely important you know the ins and outs of every program. Settings will differ between them etc and those have to be explained well. Didn't watch the video yet, but if he is popular I do hope he knows how to use everything well (and looking at some comments about both APP, but also Affinity, he apparently doesn't). Doesn't mean it's bad to compare or anything, but you always should look at more than 1 reviewer.

You are absolutely right. Guess he just needed an idea for a video. Still interesting to watch. 

ReplyQuote
Share: