Latest Software Not...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Latest Software Not Quitting Properly

38 Posts
6 Users
3 Likes
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

APP does not quit properly, (I have the latest software, the latest APP.) I need to run a forced quit.
This happened to my wife's Sims4 program after the latest OS upgrade and they fixed it after a few weeks in an update.

Any advice, hope this helps.

EDIT by Mabula : solved with macOS Sonoma 14.3 update which indicates that the problem was a macOS Sonoma bug.

This topic was modified 3 months ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@dtc1999)
Red Giant

Are all your windows in APP attached or separated? Also what version of APP are you running?

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@dtc1999 all attached, latest beta version, thx for asking

ReplyQuote
(@gazz1)
Molecular Cloud

@tardigrade 
I have had the same problem for a while.
I have to force quit APP on MacOS Ventura 13.4 when exiting.
I know a workaround - If I go to the load tab "1 Load" and clear all files then I can exit normally and it doe not hang.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Frank @tardigrade, @dtc1999, @gazz1

I will test and try to fix it 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin thank you so much!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi all,

On macOS Ventura 13.2 and also on 13.4  I can always quit APP whatever I try.

But I do know about a memory problem in the latest beta's where APP will not release memory back to the Operating System in time. Maybe this is causing the problem? Is your memory maxed out when you try to cancel APP?

For the next release, beta20, this memory problem is solved so maybe it solves this issue as well.

Mabula

This post was modified 11 months ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi all, @tardigrade @dtc1999 and @gazz1,

Do you still have this issue, we never encounter the issue on our macs with macOS 13.4. It might be some OS setting I think, but I am not certain.

Are you sure that you did install APP with the DMG into the macOS applications folder correctly?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Am still having problems, now running 13.6 on the Mac I had when I originally reported this, and also on a new MacBook 15, the same issue will not quit from the red radio button, just hangs, need to quit from the icon in the dock only, I'm getting by, just thought you would like to know. Installed in the application folder correctly using the DMG.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Frank @tardigrade, that is nasty and weird.

I have 3 macs, a macbook pro 2017, an imac pro 2019 and a mac mini M1 2022 and i have never had such an issue somehow. So I have no clue what is going here except that it might be caused by one of the new macOS functions that have to do with the windowing system that is not on by default. Another thought is that perhaps security software on your macs is causing an issue with APP, giving a false positive? Do you have security software installed? We have Bitdefender installed on macOS.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I'm a very casual user, with no security app, just running the operating system and finder as it comes, not a coder or a power user, will just have to make due.

Thought you might be interested,

Frank

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

FYI, Just loaded Sonoma 14 on MacBook 15, no change. 

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Also realized that I run CleanMyMac X which has a background and realtime malware scanning feature, no difference on or off.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Frank @tardigrade,

Thank you, the issue in my list to fix as soon as possible. We just get another report by email with the same issue on macOS Sonoma.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Frank @tardigrade,

I have tested on macOS Sonoma now with an Apple mac mini M1 and whatever I do, I can always close APP without issues. Even in the middle of a processing task.

I would suggest to uninstall APP completely, and double check if the installation folders remain, then remove them manually, in security and privacy settings remove everything for APP. Then install the latest APP version.

I suspected the issue might be related to macOS Stage Manager which is still quite a new feature, but testing with stage manager also reveiled no problems on my system.

Another thing to check for, maybe when you try to close APP with thered button of the APP window, maybe some crash occurs on your system somehow. Can you check if there is a crash report in APP's installation folder?

And, what you can also try to do, when APP is running, push the CFG button at the top left, and push the buttons to reset everything to defaults. Then then save. Finally, try to close APP, does it close normally now?

Mabula

This post was modified 7 months ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I have tried what you have mentioned to the best of my understanding, as I said before I am a rather casual user so I am sorry if I have missed something.

When I forced quit, which is not often as I use the close option from the alias in the dock, not the red button there is a report that is sent to apple regularly if that helps. I don't sem to be able to copy or share I would.

No Change, the red button still forces the app into a nonresponse state.

Hope that helps,

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Frank @tardigrade and André @andrecajolais,

I think we are closer to an explanation 🙂 My APP window with the red button looks like this:

macOS APP window close red button

Another user, André, that has reported this issue by email, has a very different window in which APP is running:

macOS APP  different window close red button

This looks like APP is running inside a different kind of window supplied by macOS and I am assuming now this is one of the new macOS features. I suspect your window also looks like this and not like mine, right?

Does anyone know which setting this is in the macOS configuration? I suspect that if you disable it, all will work as expected.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin 

Doesn't seem to be the issue;

Screenshot 2023 10 11 at 12.12.20 PM

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Okay thanks, i was confused now by the screenshot from André. It was not APP, but is was safari showing the astro pixel processor website in a browser tab...  🙄 my bad.

Anyway, André was able to get that error report, I am studying that now to see if I can find the cause.

Frank, for my understanding, if you try to close APP from the macOS dock, then it works fine? Only errors when the red button is used?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Correct.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Could you try the following for me:

First make sure that you have installed 2.0.0-beta25, if not download it from the downloads section https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/downloads/

Open a terminal and go to where APP is installed with the command

cd /Applications/AstroPixelProcessor.app/Contents 

then start Astro Pixel Processor with the following command from the terminal:

./PlugIns/jre/Contents/Home/bin/java -jar ./Resources/astropixelprocessor-2.0.0-beta25.jar

In this way, APP will be started with the java version that is included and we will be able to see error messages on the command line. Please be aware that this is only for testing to start APP like this, we can not offer additional support by running app normally like this, because it won't run exactly the same as starting APP from the Applications menu.

APP from terminal macos

Now close APP with the top left red button, hopefully an error message is shown now on the terminal. If it does, please share it with me, that should really help to solve this.

If no error is shown, can you check with the ls command if there is an error file/report written in the installation folder:

use the following commands: 

cd /Applications/AstroPixelProcessor.app/Contents/Resources

ls

which looks in the terminal like:

mabula@Ariess-Mac-mini Resources % cd /Applications/AstroPixelProcessor.app/Contents/Resources

mabula@Ariess-Mac-mini Resources % ls

astropixelprocessor-2.0.0-beta25.jar     astropixelprocessor.icns       libs

If there is an additional file, can you send that file to me? Thanks !

Mabula

This post was modified 7 months ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

I have  prepared a new test version that shows more output while trying to close APP.

Please test with this version 2.0.0-beta26-test1 which you can download here:

Intel

https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/2.0.0-beta26-test1/AstroPixelProcessor-2.0.0-beta26-test1-macOS-Intel-64-bit.zip

Apple Silicon

https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/2.0.0-beta26-test1/AstroPixelProcessor-2.0.0-beta26-test1-macOS-Apple-M-Silicon-64-bit.zip

Again, run it from the commandline to see what output we get:

From the terminal go to the correct location by entering the command:

cd /Applications/AstroPixelProcessor.app/Contents 

then from that location enter the command to start the correct java (the one installed with APP) which executes APP

./PlugIns/jre/Contents/Home/bin/java -jar ./Resources/astropixelprocessor-2.0.0-beta26-test1.jar

The output terminal should show a counter from 1 – 20 when you try to close APP with the red button, please share what you see happening in this counter.

Thanks a lot !

ReplyQuote
(@gazz1)
Molecular Cloud

This is no longer an issue for me. It was somehow resolved 2.0.0 beta 20+ (not sure precisely which version fixed it).
I have also upgraded to Sonoma 14.0 a couple of weeks ago, and I am running on Intel Macbook Pro 8 core I9 16GB .
My apologies I can't be more specific.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Garth Hunt

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @gazz1

This is no longer an issue for me. It was somehow resolved 2.0.0 beta 20+ (not sure precisely which version fixed it).
I have also upgraded to Sonoma 14.0 a couple of weeks ago, and I am running on Intel Macbook Pro 8 core I9 16GB .
My apologies I can't be more specific.

Hi Garth @gazz1,

Thank you very much for your feedback, happy to hear that it is no longer a problem for you.

But we have no clue really at the moment what is causing this issue on some mac computers. What do we know at the moment:

1) some users have the issue with all 2.0 beta's on Sonoma and even on macOS version before that.

2) I have an intel imac-pro 2020 and a Apple Silicon M1 mac mini, both upgraded to Sonoma recently to investigate this particular issue and never have experienced this issue with any of the 2.0 beta's.

3) 2 days ago André @andrecajolais, tested a special test version for me with extra output when you try to close APP with the red radio button on the APP window, this output showed that no errors occur in APP's code while closing the application and that the problem happens on the final step which is to close the application window and terminate the process in the operating system. This is something which is out of our control even, 2 factors only influence this:

1. The operating itself, so if this is the problem, then macOS has a bug somewhere which is not unlikely. Sonoma is presenting many issues for many well-established applications at the moment. Mathlab won't even start on some macs with macOS Sonoma : https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/2027964-matlab-crash-on-sonoma-macos-14-0 for instance. In this case it seems related to the OS accessibility options, if a user needs it and thus uses it through Mathlab, the problem occurs it seems. It does point me to some additional testing which I can do now to see if enabling accessibility options in macOS causes this issue.
  2. The development platform that we use has a bug with closing the application window, André has tested with 2.0.0-beta2 which uses a much older version of the development platform and the problem is there as well, this indicates that the issue might be in our development platfrom for a long time already, but it is very unlikely. A problem like this would manifest on all macs then which it clearly doesn't.

My biggest suspicion at the moment is that the issue is caused by something in the macOS operating system which is not used or enabled on all macs. So maybe the bug is in the macos accesibility framework and users that need this experience it as a consequence. I will perform additional testing now with this accesibility framework to see if I can duplicate the issue in that way.

@gazz1 , @tardigrade, @andrecajolais, can you also check, do you use the macos accesibilty features? If so, can you let me know which and how exactly?

Mabula

This post was modified 6 months ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@andrecajolais)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin Mabula I have disable all of the accessility features and it still crashes... I will systematically send a report to Apple from now... I'm increasingly convinced that the problem lies with MacOs Sonoma.

ReplyQuote
(@gazz1)
Molecular Cloud

@mabula-admin 
Hi Mabula,

I can't really pinpoint what changed to resolve the issue.

To clarify, the issue was APP wouldn't close properly and required me to "Force Quit" APP.
I am using an Intel Macbook Pro 8 core I9 16GB, running MacOS 14.0 (Sonoma), APP 2.0.0 beta 25 (I can't be sure which version I was on when the issue stopped)

I will try to articulate what I do know about the issue:
1. It would close properly if I opened APP and did not really carry out any processing e.g. Open APP and close immediately was fine but open APP, load data and integrate would cause the issue. However, if I ran Integrate, then went to "1) Load" and cleared all files - it would close properly.

2. It is a long-standing issue that has occurred over several MacOS versions (I definitely had the issue on Ventura)so I'm not sure if upgrading to Sonoma (MacOS14) made any difference...I think the issue may have been resolved while I was still on Ventura (MacOS 13). So I don't think it's Sonoma but may caused by something in MacOS.

3. Thinking of any changes that I have made between when it did not work and when it started working properly: I stopped using Bitdefender Antivirus software a few months ago...I know that AV software can sometimes cause problems. Nothing else really comes to mind.

Regards,
Garth

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @gazz1,

Thank you very much for these details.

We are still mistified by this issue unfortunately. I have never experieced this issue on 3 different mac computers all fully up-to-date at the moment, but also never with older macos versions.

We have run Bitdefender antivirus on our development computers for many years now with great satisfaction, we never get false positives from Bitdefender on APP where other commercial packages do once in a while.. so we can exclude bitdefender as cause I would think.

Currently, the most likely cause of the issue seems that it is macOS itself or our development platform somehow.

Another user performed a test with a special version that gives additional output while closing the application, this test showed that all shut down procedures that we implemented work fine and do not crash, the hang while closing  happens on the final step which is destroying the application windows and it's process. This final task is beyond our control even which is the reason why the cause it either:

• macos bug
  • development platfrom bug

Now, if it is a development platform bug, it is very likely that this issue would occur on all mac computers with the same macOS version, which it clearly doesn't. So it seems more likely that it is something in macOS I think, but i am still guessing and trying to keep an open mind.

The fact that this issue is gone for you with Beta25 and Sonoma is great, but is not providing any clue at the moment about why unfortunately.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi all @tardigrade, @dtc1999, @gazz1 & @andrecajolais

We have clear indication from André now that this issue is fixed with the mac Sonoma 14.3 update release on Jan 22 2024 🙂 so please update and let us know if all is okay now. We have spent a lot of time to solve this bug and all indications are now that Apple was to blame for this problem.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@andrecajolais)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin Thank you so much Mabula for your support and especially your patience! We are now sure that the problem was with MacOS. Unfortunately, Apple has had quite a few problems with this version of MacOs. Let's hope the worst is over..

ReplyQuote
(@tardigrade)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

No change here running Sonoma 14.3, thx for the feedback

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: