When Oiii-Ha Extrac...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

When Oiii-Ha Extraction creates an integration, set Filter to Oiii or Ha

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@itarchitectkev)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I often use Dual NB filters on my OSC set up, and use the Extract Ha and Extra Oiii options to create Ha and Oiii integrated subs. I then use these in the RGB combine tool.

When I use Ha, Oiii and Sii filters, the RGB combine tool knows to assign the right channel/filter.
Given APP has just done the extraction for Oiii and Ha, and naturally the next step would be to combine, still using APP, you would expect the software to know to assign the right filter to make HOO processing that little bit easier. It's a small change, but a welcome improvement for the inexperienced.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I may be missing something, but APP does add a filter tag when you've used extract-Ha or OIII right? In the RGBCombine tool you can then select the algorithm you'd like to use, which is just a preset, if we make assumptions there I'm not sure that will work for everyone. Your point is that APP would then automatically select HOO I think?

ReplyQuote
(@itarchitectkev)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

When you load the raw FITS from an OSC, you assign a filter - it defaults to RGB, but you can change it.
So this means I have both Oiii and Ha on this same labelled filter.

When you go to Extract the Oiii or Ha, this filter doesn't get changed. The filter for my Oiii extracted image is "RGB", the filter for my Ha is the same "RGB" (or in my example, I loaded and assigned ALP)

For example, I named the filter ALP to represent the filter I used on my camera at the time. When I go to extract the Ha or Oiii at Integration, I have to knowingly insert Ha or Oiii into the filename otherwise there is no indication at all what the FIT file is when I load them into the RGB combine tool. See attached screenshot. The only reason I know it's Ha is because I named it Ha.

The simple request here is that - given APP created this extracted file, it should include/alter/update the Metadata to now reflect the Filter or some other field that RGB tool could reference so that people aren't making mistakes. Here, in the screenshot, you can see the channel description is (relatively) useless at this stage, and filter is set to Custom.

A user, at this stage, given APP created this file, and we're doing an action from APP itself on a file itself produced, I should just be able to add these automatically to this tool and it knows what filter/colour to assign where.

Screenshot from 2022 09 03 08 41 11

ReplyQuote
Share: