Noise Reduction Process?  

RSS

(@chasmiller46)
Molecular Cloud Customer
May 25, 2018 15:52  

Although I have been image processing for several years, I am new to APP.  I am very impressed with the balance between ease of use and functionality.   One thing that seems to be missing from the #9 (Tools) tab is some form of noise reduction processing.   I find I use noise reduction processing a lot in PixInsight -- sometimes successfully and sometimes not.   Since APP uses linear images throughout the processing, that would seem to allow for some simplification of the noise reduction process. 

Are there plans to add a noise reduction process to APP?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
May 25, 2018 20:05  

Hi @chasmiller46,

Thanks 😉 and yes, a noise reduction tool will soon come. I intend to make a tool that will enable you to perform noise reduction on different scales/resolutions snd the possibility to use different filters including star protection like available already in the preview filter for sharpening.

Cheers,

Mabula

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
(@chasmiller46)
Molecular Cloud Customer
May 25, 2018 20:24  

Plans to add a noise reduction tool is good news.  As part of my APP learning, I re-processed a narrow band image I had already processed in PI about a year ago.  I experimented with the APP shapening / protection tool and I was able to get a better looking image with APP than the image I produced with PI; that is, the detail visible in the APP sharpened image was better than the detail in the PI image.  

Charlie

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
May 28, 2018 14:57  

Hi Charlie @chasmiller46,

Excellent that is very nice to hear 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@kkoutr)
Molecular Cloud Customer
June 5, 2018 23:19  

Hi Mabula

Is there any chance the noise reduction tool to be ready in the next update?

Furthermore a step back and forth (or undo-redo) button would be very helpful in order to compare reviewing fast any change made (like history in photoshop)

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
June 9, 2018 21:00  

Hi @kkoutr,

Welcome to the forum 😉

The noise reduction tool is not yet scheduled for the next release currently. But probably the one after that 😉

Do you mean a undo-redo on the preview filter settings? Or in a certain tool? On tools like Remove Light Pollution, the undo/redo is to be done with the drawn area select boxes. Each calculate uses the original data and is not dependent on a previous calculate.

Let me know where you see use for this 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@kkoutr)
Molecular Cloud Customer
June 11, 2018 00:22  

Ι think the undo-redo function would be helpful to use no matter in a tool area or not (if it is possible to program). Photoshop is providing a history catalog of any movement made so you can click back and review/compare current image with previous status just with a click. In this way it is easier to compare and decide if  an improvement made or discover which command ruined the final result.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
June 15, 2018 21:49  

Hi @kkoutr,

Thank you for your feedback. Work on undo/redo functions is on my todo list, so I will keep this in mind.

However, I know how Photoshop works, I have used it extensively as well in the past.

In APP each tool let's you save the result, so you can always go back to the result after a certain tool. The intermediate results from the tools are always saved in your work directory 😉

Perhaps the most useful place to implement undo/redo is with the preview filter on the right? Would you agree?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@kkoutr)
Molecular Cloud Customer
June 16, 2018 07:06  

Υes that would be nice!  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Share: