The problem with the data upload limit for attachments has been fixed. I have restored it to 30MegaBytes. A recent forum software upgrade was responsible for the changed limit. Please accept my apologies for missing this when upgrading the forum sofware, Mabula.
Yet More Issues That I have No Idea How To Fix
First off, I am using v1.074.1 of APP
Files are from my Canon DSLR
And I leave everything as default in the RAW tab
So I have loaded my Lights, Flats & Dark Flats in to APP and hit Calibrate, the process runs through creating the Master Dark Flat & then the Master Flat but then failed with this error message:
So I thought this was just a one off glitch & ran the data for a second time, this time it failed at exactly the same stage but the error message was different, plus there was one message box on top of another saying the same message:
Also, it took 8 presses of the OK button on these message boxes for the box to unload from my screen.
Here's an image showing what APP was doing right at the failure point from the log viewer:
The files I was using are as follows:
Lights ISO800 200s
Flats ISO100 0.6s
Dark Flats ISO100 0.6s
Yes, I did get the calibration warning about Bias, Dark frames etc but I chose OK to ignore the warning as I am attempting to change from using Darks & Bias to just Flats & Dark Flats.
This cannot be the issue though as I have used this combo of file previously in APP & not had the Java error.
May have spoken a little too soon... 😉
I have been noticing a lighter area along the bottom edge of my Integrations lately around the area where the shadow if the prism in my OAG falls.
I have been struggling with an attempt to rectify this assuming that it is a Flats issue that I am having but cannot seem to removing it during Calibration.
So, I just ran the exact same data as used above but this time added in Dark frames matching my Lights & chose the 'adaptive pedestal/reduce amp glow' option under Calibration thinking that perhaps I am seeing some amp glow.
Again, after starting Calibration APP runs for quite a while before showing this error message:
Here is the end of APP Log viewer:
My sincere apologies for the lack of activity from our side lately. Mabula is indeed very busy and unfortunately I am as well at this time. We're moving between countries, which is tricky internet-wise. No excuse for you having to wait, just wanted to clarify. I'll try to get more time in and I'll try to get to you here as well asap.