Running out of memo...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Running out of memory

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@realwizer)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

I am having memory exhaustion issues when working with larger mosaic projects, and hoping for some guidance.

My most recent project is a mosaic of NGC1499. Currently I have two images being combined into a color image and I get errors about not enough memory to complete the combination. I have a Ha sub and S2 sub, each have the following:

• 1345MB file size
  • 19046 x 18514 pixels
  • FITS format

These subs have been processed using APP separately. I actually ran into memory problems when trying to normalize and integrate the final images to get proper alignment, and had to increase my memory allocation to 20GB in APP.

When I load up the two images in the combine RGB tool, it takes 8512MB just to load them. Doing recalculates continue to raise the memory taken until I eventually run out (almost as if memory is not freed up with each action). I have had to close APP and redo the combining with each recalc, and have also tried to crop down the images to make the file size smaller. This has allowed me to at least get a combined image saved, yet I cannot tweak the image in APP to my liking due to these issues.

Looking for any advice on how to get APP to allow me to work with larger images, especially as I have upcoming project data sets that will even be larger. Is this something I can configure in the application? Do I simply need to get more RAM for my machine? I can go up to 64GB of RAM if that is even enough.

Machine specs:

• Windows 10 (vers 2004)
  • Ryzen 7 2700X
  • 32GB RAM

Thanks!

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Sean K

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Sean,

I have asked @mabula-admin to answer here.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

While we wait for @mabula-admin, it's also clear that that resolution is very high. So that indeed requires a lot of memory just to load them, I think it might be necessary to downsize that a bit (though I understand that's not preferred). You can do this in tab 4 "register" and register everything, then setting the scale to 0.5 for instance and save those frames. Just to try to get this to work with the amount of memory.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @realwizer

I am having memory exhaustion issues when working with larger mosaic projects, and hoping for some guidance.

My most recent project is a mosaic of NGC1499. Currently I have two images being combined into a color image and I get errors about not enough memory to complete the combination. I have a Ha sub and S2 sub, each have the following:

• 1345MB file size
  • 19046 x 18514 pixels
  • FITS format

These subs have been processed using APP separately. I actually ran into memory problems when trying to normalize and integrate the final images to get proper alignment, and had to increase my memory allocation to 20GB in APP.

When I load up the two images in the combine RGB tool, it takes 8512MB just to load them. Doing recalculates continue to raise the memory taken until I eventually run out (almost as if memory is not freed up with each action). I have had to close APP and redo the combining with each recalc, and have also tried to crop down the images to make the file size smaller. This has allowed me to at least get a combined image saved, yet I cannot tweak the image in APP to my liking due to these issues.

Looking for any advice on how to get APP to allow me to work with larger images, especially as I have upcoming project data sets that will even be larger. Is this something I can configure in the application? Do I simply need to get more RAM for my machine? I can go up to 64GB of RAM if that is even enough.

Machine specs:

• Windows 10 (vers 2004)
  • Ryzen 7 2700X
  • 32GB RAM

Thanks!

Dear Sean @realwizer,

Okay, I think I understand what you are trying to do.

It sounds like there might be a memory leak in the Combine RGB Tool that causes the needed memory te get expanded after each recalculate. I have put this on my ToDo to test. Right now I am not aware of such a problem, so I need to test this. I will try to do this before releasing the next version.

What I would suggest as well, is that to make the mosaic for the 2 different filters, that you create them at the same time using the mosaic mode in Multi-Channel mode, that will make sure that both the Ha and S2 mosaic will be aligned and normalised straight away 😉

If you plan on making even larger mosaics, then you definitely need more RAM yes.

I hav created large mosaics of roughly 20.000x20.000 pixels in RGB in the past with 32GB of RAM, so I do think that you are confronted by a memory leak/issue in the RGB Combine tool that is preventing you from completing the image now. Hopefully I can find the cause and fix it for the next release 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@realwizer)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Ok, thank you all for the replies.

I will plan up getting the extra 32GB of RAM since I have 2 slots open. Again as I plan to go even larger this may help.

Regarding any leaks, if they exist, let me know if you need anything else from me to narrow this down. And in the meantime I will normalize as suggested.

ReplyQuote
Share: