remove light pollut...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

remove light pollution problem

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Beginner's problem.  I use the workflow in Christian Sasse's tutorial. I have successfully produced several really good images so far. I recently imaged M51 (lrgb). All of the blue frames were bad - the rest were quite good.  I went ahead and made a really nice image from the data I had. The next night, I reshot the blue frames with excellent results. I then loaded the good lrg images and the new good b images.  I combined rgb and had a really nice image.  When I started "remove light pollution", the image went completely white.  I have read about others having this problem. I tried adjusting the b, w, and st sliders. I was able to see my image, but I couldn't get it even close to what it looked like before starting light pollution removal. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to the developers of this software - I'm thrilled that I'm finally producing images after having no success with other programs!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mmm, you calibrated all frames with the correct calibration files? It might be that dark or bias calibration is the issue in that case. Not sure, for that I would need to check myself with the original raw data and raw calibration files. If you want to upload a set (good versus the white version) I can give you the link.

ReplyQuote
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

That would be great if you could take a look.  The only calibration frames I used were 15 darks.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Those may have an issue, could you just try without them to see if it happens again?

ReplyQuote
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I have another problem which is probably related. Took data on M82 last night. The good news is that only 2 out of 160 frames were not registered. However, when I combine LRGB there is a problem.  If I remove the luminance channel, the image is normal. When I add in the luminance channel, it's messed up. I'll attach screens shots of both.

Screen Shot 2021 03 09 at 11.17.38 AM

Screen Shot 2021 03 09 at 11.17.58 AM

ReplyQuote
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod I'll try that and let you know what happens.

ReplyQuote
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Indeed that did the trick.  What do you suppose is wrong with the darks?  I took them in between another imaging run and this one, with the same gain and exposure time.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Difficult to say, I just notice that when something is up with calibration, it usually are the darks. Could be a number of things, what settings do you use when making the dark and what do you do in APP itself?

ReplyQuote
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Same settings as the imaging run. I follow Christian Sasse's workflow exactly - load the lignt frames, load the dark frames, then hit calibrate.  Correction - I hit "create masters and assign to lights"

This post was modified 3 years ago by Ed Wallace

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mmmm, maybe they weren't completely dark? Is the offset ok as well on them?

ReplyQuote
(@edwallace)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Lens cap on camera, camera inside thick black glove (outside at night).  I'm ashamed to say I do not know what offset is. I will learn about that tonight. Now I have to go to work. Thank you for taking the time to help.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

An offsets is a noise floor basically for the sensor (if I'm not saying this incorrectly 🙂 ). But those are for astro-camera's.

In your case, I probably would need to look at the dark itself. Light can still create an issue, might also come from within the camera even. No idea if that's the case for you of course. No light in the garden at night from neighbours?

ReplyQuote
Share: