Question: I see tha...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Question: I see that APP is written in java

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shlomi)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Is there a plan to also release APP as a library in the form of a JAR file? 

If that was the case, one could make wonderful bindings on top of your great work! I for one would write a clojure (a jvm side lisp) wrapper, allowing this to run live through a repl where I could script away common tasks or even save entire workflows for each photo as clojure scripts so I could reproduce any photo at any time on any machine precisely as I had done it originally. This could give us (the astrophotography noobs) much deeper insights as we learn this fine art and could see what we did and how it improved.

Thanks for a wonderful program!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks for the compliment! As I program myself as well I actually had a little conversation about something similar. But for now it's not something to be made possible, it would complicate the program fast at a stage where it's still fully in development. So great idea, but not going to happen at the moment.

ReplyQuote
(@shlomi)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Thank you for replying!

Yes, I can see that the program is in full development swing. I am not expecting this to happen at the moment, just thought of instilling this ideas in the designers head. As a developer myself, I know that having this concept in mind adjusts the architecture and design of the application such that later it will be easier to export the functionalities as APIs. 

I have worked a lot on very memory intensive projects on the JVM and I have lots of ideas for you to improve performance, reduce GC jitter, etc. For example I am not sure if you are currently using DirectByteBuffers, which allocates memory off heap (think malloc, thus reducing GC stress). This approach will also allows for future interfacing with jni code which could then take advantages of SIMD instructions ( https://www.quora.com/What-is-SIMD ) for very fast computations (think GPU on top of the CPU). Unfortunately the JVM as it is currently lacks proper automatic vectorization which this kind of processing could easily use.

If you would like to have some technical session, I would be thrilled to help out. Astrophotography, although a hobby at this point in my life, is a big passion of mine as well as programming, so I would love to contribute 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yep, same! 🙂 Although not Java and still starting out in the scene. I'll tag Mabula so he can chime in. @mabula-admin

ReplyQuote
Share: