Problems Registerin...
 
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

19 June 2021: Our upload server https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/ has been migrated successfully to our new office with higher upload and download speeds (nearly 10MByte/sec up/down ) ! We now have 1 general upload user called: upload with password: upload. The users upload1 - upload5 have been disabled.

31 May 2021: APP 1.083-beta2 has been released ! APP 1.083 stable will follow soon afterwards. It includes a completely new Star Reducer Tool, New File Saver Module, Improved Comet registration and much more, check the release notes here!

DOWNLOADS are available HERE!

 

Problems Registering/Integrating Widefield Frames  

  RSS

(@fbup)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 8
August 26, 2019 15:42  

Hello,

I recently downloaded and requested a trial license for APP. I'm working on a couple different images - one of the Veil nebula at 135mm, and of the Deneb/Sadr region at 50mm. Both of these images are done with a Canon t3i and tracked (not guided) with an iOptron Skyguilder Pro.

The issue I'm having is that if I integrate 10 or fewer frames, the integration looks ok. However, if I integrate 20 or more frames, I get serious banding in the image, with various features "repeated" across the frame. It's almost like the image is being sliced up and rearranged incorrectly. I've done this with all default settings in the software, and with LNC/MBB. Both data sets, 10 frames stack ok, but the full data set (49 for the 50mm set and 120 for the 135mm set) does not integrate correctly.

The 135mm data set was taken with a vintage 135mm Asahi Super Takumar f/3.5, and has some CA and poorly shaped stars in the corners. Stars in the center of the frame look ok. The 50mm data was with a newer Canon 50mm f/1.8, and also has some wonky stars in the corner of the frames.

Let me try to upload some downsized photos...

Here's a stack of 10 frames at 135mm of the Veil nebula. I can pick any 10 random frames and they seem to stack fine.

135mm 10 Frames Integrated

Here's a stack of all 120 frames. All default settings except I enabled LNC and MBB during integration.

135mm 120Frames Integrated

Here's a single frame of Deneb/Sadr at 50mm:

50mm Single Frame

Here's a stack of all 49 frames with all default settings in the software:

50mm 49 Frames Integrated

 

I'm at a bit of a loss, as I've tried adjusting various settings in analyze stars, registration, and integration with no improvement. Every time it seems to stack correctly when I use a small number of frames, but starting at ~20 frames I start getting these strange artifacts, up to a completely unusable image with all frames stacked.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'd really like this software to work for me!


ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 3694
August 26, 2019 15:49  

Thanks for trying the software! This looks quite strange indeed, the quickest way to give a sensible explanation would be if you could upload 20 frames to our APP server; login/password: appuser

Please create a folder with your name first, thank you!

 


ReplyQuote
(@fbup)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 8
August 26, 2019 16:17  

Thanks for the quick feedback! I'll upload the files tonight once I'm back at my home workstation.


ReplyQuote
(@fbup)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 8
August 27, 2019 01:16  

  @vincent-mod

So I reprocessed the data to make sure I still was getting weird results prior to uploading the frames and found something that may explain why I’m having issues when stacking over 20 frames. Starting with the 20th frame during integration, I’m getting an i/o exception error on the console. See photo below...

529ECF6A 0DE1 47AA B3A5 339898C4544D

Any suggestions for what could be causing this? I’d like to take care of any issues on my side before taking up some of your time evaluating my frames. 

Edit - It looks like this was due to me working off a USB drive. All my astro files are stored on this drive, so I set APP’s working directory here. As soon as I set the working directory to the internal HDD, everything is now working. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by FrostByte

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 3694
August 29, 2019 15:56  

Ah I see you got to the answer already, excellent! Yes this was an I/O error (Input/Output) so it had to do with the actual writing of files to the place where your working directory is.


FrostByte liked
ReplyQuote
(@fbup)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 8
August 29, 2019 18:12  

Yes, I did get this resolved! Now that I've figured out the error, this software is working brilliantly. I'm shocked at how robust it is, especially with creating mosaics with mediocre data. Will be purchasing a license in the next few days, APP has done everything I've needed and more so far.


ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
Joined: 4 years ago
Posts: 3694
August 29, 2019 20:06  

Thank you for the kind words! It'll only get better. 🙂


ReplyQuote
Share: