NullPointerExceptio...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] NullPointerException when trying to create a mosaic in 1.078

22 Posts
5 Users
6 Likes
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

Hi @mabula-admin, @vincent-mod,

Using version 1.078 on MacOS I am trying to create a three panel mosaic of Ha data of the Eta Carinae nebula. The fourth panel is missing still and I am working on that. I tried to create a mosaic in one go in two ways (loading all data of the three panels in three separate sessions and loading all data of the three panels in one session) and making sure to select mosaic in 4) REGISTER -> registration mode. In both cases I get an NPE at the start of the integration:

Encountered error in module:
Integrator

Error message:
java.lang.NullPointerException

Cause:
null
pj.a(Unknown Source)
pj.a(Unknown Source)
pj.doInBackground(Unknown Source)
javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)

I will now integrate the three panels separately and then attempt to create a mosaic.

Out of curiosity, integrating all panels in one go to create a mosaic should work, right?

Thanks, Wouter

Edit by Mabula:

Apologies for this issue with mosaics in APP 1.078. I have found and fixed the bugger though 😉

I will try to release APP 1.079 with the fix a.s.a.p.

Mabula

This topic was modified 4 years ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

By the way, apart from choosing mosaic I choose automatic integration and enable MBB. The rest all are default. When APP prompts me to disable "same optics" I choose no and accept the scale stop of at least 10 and "use dynamic distortion correction" options.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

When I integrate the three panels separately I get the same NPE when I try to combine them into a mosaic. I am sure I am doing something wrong but I don't know what. Any help would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

When I play with the3 register parameters then I can integrate all lights and create a big integration but then the individual panels show up. Of course I need to add more data to the lower left en upper right but it is a start.

NGC3372 H Alpha

ReplyQuote
(@chris_g_bne)
White Dwarf

@wvreeven

Just FYI I am also getting this problem on Win10 1.078

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

No NPE in 1.077 but I am still doing something wrong:

St avg 18600.0s NR x 1.0 LZ3 NS full eq mult sc BWMV nor AAD RE MBB5 H Alpha session 1 session 2 session 3 session 4 St

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

Again with 1.077 but with dynamic distortion correction disabled:

St avg 18600.0s NR x 1.0 LZ3 NS full eq mult sc BWMV nor AAD RE MBB5 H Alpha session 1 session 3 session 4 St

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Wouter,

Apologies for the delay. So you checked advanced mode in normalization and increased the star count and such? Distortion correction shoud be enabled as well.

Posted by: @wvreeven

When I play with the3 register parameters then I can integrate all lights and create a big integration but then the individual panels show up. Of course I need to add more data to the lower left en upper right but it is a start.

Not sure what you did exactly here, could you elaborate a bit? What made it work in this case?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vincent-mod

So you checked advanced mode in normalization and increased the star count and such? Distortion correction shoud be enabled as well.

What I did was to select mosaic mode in Register and I got the NPE at the start of Integration. I wasn't aware of the advanced mode in Normalize. I will try that now.

Not sure what you did exactly here, could you elaborate a bit? What made it work in this case?

I restarted APP and did NOT select mosaic mode. However, I did increase the scale stop from 5 to 9 and then I could integrate all panels together. But it was not in mosaic mode and I think that makes a difference for the visibility of the overlap of the panels.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah right, yes that probably makes a big difference. Apart from advanced mode (which gives a better normalization for mosaics) MBB will correct those border regions and LNC will make sure all panels are similar in background.

If it keeps on having this crash, I'll ask to upload the panels so we can have a look more closely.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

I tried this and the NPE is still happening at the start of Integration. I am uploading the files right now. Gimme a few hours because my upload isn't fast.

EDIT: Wait, I have a better idea. The NPE also happens when I try to make a mosaic of the four integrated panels. I'll recreate those and will upload them. That's faster.

As before: I'll report back when the files are there.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

The four panels have been uploaded. I created a directory with my name and in it there are NGC3372-H_Alpha-Part1.fits, NGC3372-H_Alpha-Part2.fits, NGC3372-H_Alpha-Part3.fits and NGC3372-H_Alpha-Part4.fits. Please feel free to delete the other files and directories since I do not have the permissions to do so myself.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks Wouter! I have a Mac as well so will test this asap.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Wouter,

So I tried it as well and indeed, got a crash as well. I messaged Mabula about it and pointed him to your data on the server. Hope he's able to check it out soon. Thanks for reporting!

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

Thanks Vincent. I am looking forward to the fix.

Meanwhile I have been able to create the mosaic in 1.077 with the default settings EXCEPT the ones below. Note that I played with "same camera and optics" and in the end like the version with "same camera and optics" ENABLED since the projection is less stretched wide.

1) Load
- Multi-Channel
- Multi-Session (not sure if this is important though)
- Load the four integrated panels all with filter H-Alpha and one panel per session

3) Analyze Stars
- #stars 2500

4) Register
- pattern recognition: triangles
- scale start: 5
- scale end: 12
- enable use dynamic distortion correction
- registration mode: mosaic

5) Normalize
- mode: advanced

6) Integrate
- LNC degree: 1st degree LNC
- enable MBB: 15%

St avg 29640.0s NR x 1.0 LZ3 NS full eq mult sc BWMV adv AAD RE MBB15 Hydrogen alpha session 1 session 2 session 3 session 4 1stLNC it3 1 lpc mod St

ReplyQuote
(@martingoffjones)
Main Sequence Star

Have we any updates on when this might be looked at please? Would really like to be able to finish my first ever mosaic 🤣 

Thanks in advance

Martin

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

@MartinGoffJones Martin, you can always download version 1.077 and use that to create the mosaic. That's what I am doing. Please note that the way the filters are stored in the images created with 1.078 has slightly changed so 1.077 doesn't recognise that. You will need to select the filter by hand if you work with multiple filters.

HTH, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@martingoffjones)
Main Sequence Star

@wvreeven Thanks Wouter, I'm maybe being a little lazy and trying to avoid that if possible. Might be that I'll have to bite the bullet though. Hopefully Mabula will have a look and it will be an easy fix

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Bugs can't be fixed straight away in the sense it would mean we had a lot of intermediate versions each time we find one. 🙂 Mabula is looking at it now and when reproducible for him as well it will get a fix in the next version. Sorry for the wait!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi all @wvreeven @chris_g_bne @martingoffjones @vincent-mod,

Apologies for this issue with mosaics in APP 1.078. I have found and fixed the bugger though 😉

I will try to release APP 1.079 with the fix a.s.a.p.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar
Topic starter  

Great news, thanks a lot @mabula-admin Mabula!

ReplyQuote
(@martingoffjones)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin

Thank you very much for looking at it so quickly Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: