Light Pollution Rem...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Light Pollution Removal Tool Issue

17 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
(@kisslija)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hello,

I'm new to using APP and have been having an issue with the light pollution removal tool. No matter how many boxes I use I keep getting a wavy zebra stripe pattern in the image, see attached. I've played with the number of boxes I use and get the same result. Has anyone else seen this before? 

I'm using a ZWO ASI2600MC Pro and calibrate my images with Pixinsight. I'm using the light pollution tool on a linear image.

M94 WBPP Only lpc cbg
APP Interface

I've attached a calibrated image before using the light pollution tool as a reference. 

M94 WBPP Only

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@kisslija Hi Jeff,

Yes we have seen this before and probably is a rendering issue. Does the pattern go away if you disable OpenGL?

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@kisslija)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm running APP on a Windows 10 Maingear laptop with a Ryzen 9 processor that contains a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card. Unfortunately, I'm unable to disable or adjust the hardware acceleration. Is this what you meant?

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@kisslija)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I found the "OpenGL" button in the upper left corner of the APP control panel, I believe this is what you were referencing. I clicked it and it changed to "CPU". I ran the light pollution tool on the same image and still have the wavy lines. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Jeff Kisslinger

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@kisslija Yes that's the button I meant. Sorry for not having been clearer.

I would like to take a look at your data. Ca you please follow the upload instructions, that can be found at the top of any forum page, and upload, say, 5 lights, flats, darks and dark flats to a folder called kisslija_lines and let me know as soon as the upload is done? Then I will have a look and see what the cause may be. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@kisslija)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I tried to sign into File Station and I keep getting a message indicating the account or username is invalid. It's the same one I used to sign into the forums.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@kisslija Please read the instructions carefully. Your forum username and password will not work. You need to use upload for both.

ReplyQuote
(@kisslija)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Apologies for the confusion. I've uploaded the requested files. I use bias frames as opposed to dark flats.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@kisslija Thanks for the upload. Please allow for a few days to give me time to investigate. 

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@kisslija Actually, I found some time to quickly have a look. When I load and integrate all files, I don't see the lines that are visible in your first post. What version of APP do you use? And would it be possible for you to upload the whole data set?

ReplyQuote
(@kisslija)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wvreeven I was using version 1.083 of APP when I posted here. I just upgraded to version 1.083.4 and still see the lines. I can certainly try to upload all the files, however I have 8 nights worth of data that total over 17GB. I'll give it a shot, I'm not sure if there are limits to the amount of data that can be uploaded.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@kisslija There are no limits to the amount of data that can be uploaded but 17 Gb is quite a lot. So before doing that, a few more questions.

Do you only process RGB data? Do you reuse the same flats, darks and bias for all nights? Do you process the data for all nights in one session or so you use multiple sessions? If one session, do you see the lines too in one or more integration results if you process the data of the different nights one by one?

ReplyQuote
(@kisslija)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

They're uploaded. The darks and bias frames are in a labeled folder. The lights and associated flats are in the folders with dates. Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@kisslija Thanks a lot. Now I'll really need a few days to investigate. 

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@kisslija And please answer my questions 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@kisslija)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wvreeven, I figured it out! I was working with a 32 bit FITS/XISF file in Pixinsight. When I would convert the images to TIFF files to use in APP, I would change them to 16 bit, similar to what I do when shuffling them to Photoshop. When I left them as 32 bit, the APP light pollution removal tool worked perfectly leaving no lines. 

I sincerely appreciate your help! I'm glad it was an easy fix.

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@kisslija Glad you figured it out. FYI it would be better to apply the light pollution tool in APP on the integration result before moving to PI.

ReplyQuote
Share: