Is there GPU render...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Is there GPU rendering implemented yet? Considering an eGPU

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@xone)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

I saw an announcement over a year ago about this but not sure if it was ever implemented. I have an i7 mac mini and could add an external GPU, but it doesn't make sense if GPU is not supported yet. 

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Not yet no, this is a big operation. We first switch to a new Java version. Vulkan support is something we want to have, but that's rather complex. So for now it doesn't add a lot of speed to have a beefy GPU, I also think that when we have that support, a regular GPU will already proof to be faster. So my suggestion would be to wait for that investment. Please also first check with us by then if the external GPU is possible, just to avoid issues there.

ReplyQuote
(@kemord)
Hydrogen Atom

@vincent-mod
Check this link:

https://darkskies.space/pixinsight-starnet-cuda/

Starnet works very fast with CUDA but your program runs slowly with CPU.
It would be good if you could make support for GPU available, as it would greatly improve the program's speed and user comfort.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes, like I mention in the comment above, we are going to implement that but it's a big operation. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@swimmingfish849)
Hydrogen Atom

On the off chance are there any rough dates for gpu support?

I.e. Q2 2022?

Im just trying to work out if I should upgrade my Cpu now or wait for GPU support 🙂 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Sorry, impossible for me to judge. I know we want to start some small tests this year, but I really can't predict how that will go. I think, if you have a relatively decent GPU already, it will become faster anyway when supported. A good multi-code CPU is always nice to have also for APP.

ReplyQuote
Share: