Is the workflow for...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Is the workflow for dslr data calibration still relevant?

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@shlomi)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi, I was watching the tutorial at https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/a-dslr-data-calibration-workflow/ which shows a different workflow for calibrating dslr data. Here is my summary of the video:

1. create BPM from darks + flats
2. create master flat: flats+bias+bpm(add to list as a light)
3. create master darks: only darks, no bias
4. Now use lights + master flat + master darks + BPM: Calibrate, Analyze stars, Register
5. Look in the files table below at Registration RMS. See that the error is very small (smaller than a pixel), otherwise "Distortion correction" may be selected
6. Normalize and Integrate

The video is about 2 years old, and I read in another thread that a lot of the calibration engine have changed.

My question: is this still the preferred way of calibrating dslr data? Or can we simply add all lights, flats, darks, biases and our yearly (camera specific) BPM to the file list and APP will take care of the rest?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I usually just add all calibration subs together and press "create masters" and switch on to create the BPM as well. 🙂 Works fine. That routine has been optimized since that workflow to be easier. A new tutorial, written, is in the works.

ReplyQuote
(@shlomi)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Glad to hear that! So no need to redo my pictures now 🙂

Thanks for the quick reply!

ReplyQuote
Share: