help very strange m...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

help very strange master flat

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jaximages)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I need some help. attached are screen shots of my master flat and a sample Flat both with and w/o background neutralized. needless to say my final image is trash. Camera is an Nikon D850, 8"RC all shots captured in Nikopn RAW. Did a fresh install and ran 2.0.0 beta 3 with all defaults as set. i've been using this camera and APP for over a year and i have never seen this. Especially curious why my flat looks green and it is grey scale when i look at it in Photoshop

Screen Shot 2022 08 31 at 5.03.59 PM
Screen Shot 2022 08 31 at 5.04.51 PM
Screen Shot 2022 08 31 at 5.04.39 PM

I went back and only ran the Calibration step. something is wrong and i am suspecting it is my flat files. here is a screen capture from the console as it processed on of my Flat files. i never remember seeing dispersion values of all zeroes. it is the same for all my flats

Screen Shot 2022 08 31 at 6.08.18 PM

This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by john speaker

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@jaximages Hi John,

Yeah, that dispersion indeed doesn't look good. What darks/bias/darkflats did you use? All also captured in Nikon RAW?

The master flat is grey in Photoshop since it hasn't been debayered.

Thanks, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

In addition to what Wouter said, could you also show a screenshot of an unstretched result, you can do so by selecting "no stretch" on the right (where it now says "15% BG". This will show the actual signal unstretched.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

A very good suggestion of Vincent. If the unstretched master flat is (almost) black then you are severely underexposing your flats.

ReplyQuote
(@jaximages)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

an update. i went back and looked over my master calibration files. a couple of strange things.APP created 2 master flats. one with a portrait orientation and anoint er with a landscape orientation. my lights were a mix of portrait and landscape and my flats were all portrait. the landscape Master flat was trash, the other was ok. and yes my individual flats were under exposed. i loaded only a few frames of my lights and flats and re-ran only the calibration data and got this master flat.

I then reloaded all my lights, bias and dark frames. then ran integration. got the same crummy result. i then deleted the newest master flat and used the one pictured here from the sample run i did earlier. and got acceptable results. 

MF IG 3200.0 E 0.00125s NIKON D850 5504x8256  bst stretch

Not sure what else i might have done wrong the first time except for over exposing my flats. From now on i will make sure the the "Auto Rotate" feature in my camera is turned off. The only thing that am puzzled about is why did APP create a MF with both portrait and landscape orientation? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I guess because this was saved as such, so APP has to assume nothing about the orientation as it can't tell.

ReplyQuote
Share: