Flat-Field calibrat...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-08-17: APP 2.0.0-beta3 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta3

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta3

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta3

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta3

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta3

Flat-Field calibration can not be performed correctly

Page 1 / 2

(@msamazing)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  

Can anybody tell me what happened here?

Screen Shot 2022 06 20 at 7.22.15 AM

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@msamazing Michael, the popup explains it all. APP is unable to find either a MasterBias or a MasterDarkFlat that matches your data (gain, temperature and offset).

Can you tell us more about what you're trying to do? What version of APP are you using? Are you using OSC (color) data or mono? Or are you trying to mix both in one go? Note that mixing OSC and mono data may is not (yet) possible. Also, what flat and darkflat/bias data did you load?

Thanks, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven I took flats before I imaged and then did lights.  I used darks from another time but maybe the darks are my problem.  I used a FlatMaster for my flats so they should be automatically handled.  The lights were shot with a color camera using a narrowband filter.  Could the problem be that my darks used a different ISO or it a bigger problem than that?

Also, I am using version 1.083. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Michael Sussman

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@msamazing Can you give a more precise description of the calibration data? You only mention darks and flats. No bias nor dark flats. What are you using exactly?

Regarding the APP version: can you be more precise there as well? The latest and stable version of APP is 1.083-4 for Windows and 1.083-2 for macOS or Linux. Please make sure you have installed any of those versions because all other 1.083 versions have bugs in them.

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven To being with, I have to apologize as I had a "brain fart".  I completely forgot the bias files.  Dah.   It actually processed fine after that.  

When I look up the version I am running on my MAC, it only says:  Version 1.083 (1.083).  Does that mean there is a more current version I should install?

After processing my image, can I upload it and have you take a look to get some suggestions?  It is definitely on the green side.  There is no rush.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@msamazing No need to apologize. I am glad you managed to solve the issue.

Yes, there is a newer and stabler version 1.083-2 of APP for macOS. See the downloads section under your account. Please install that as it has several important stability improvements over the original 1.083.

Regarding the green color of your integration result, OSC data tends to have a green cast due to the double number of green pixels wrt red and blue. What narrowband filter do you use? Does enabling background neutralization reduce the green cast?

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven I used a color camera with the Radian Triad Ultra Narrowband Filter.  When I put a check mark in the neutralize-BG, it made the nebula lighter and everything was a little more green.  do you want to see the file?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@msamazing What settings did you use in tab 0? Did you use the default settings or change to one of the Ha-OIII settings? The answer to this following question probably is yes, but to be absolutely sure: did you create flats using the filter? What do the lights look like? Are they green as well? And the raw flats? Green as well?

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven I used the default setting in tab 0.  I did create flats for the filter.  The lights look more gray.  The flats are green. Do you want to look at the final result?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@msamazing No, I'd prefer to have a look at the raw lights and calibration data. Can you upload 5 of each to

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven ok i uploaded the files.  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@msamazing Thanks a lot. Unfortunately it's impossible for me to download them from the airport. However, can you please either rename the files so it is clear from the filename which is which OR place them in sub-directories indicating their type?

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Done.  I put them in sub folders.

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Hello, I am curious if you were able to view my files.  

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@msamazing I had a transatlantic flight and just arrived. Hopefully tomorrow I can have a look. 

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven there is no rush thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@msamazing OK I had a look at your data. The lights certainly don't look grey but have, as expected, a green hue. They look perfectly normal to me.

Screenshot 2022 06 23 at 10.51.35

The flats, however, look way too green. Also note in the histogram that there is no red signal apart from a few hot pixels that manifest themselves as little red spikes at the bottom of the histogram.

Screenshot 2022 06 23 at 10.52.47

I noted that there is no offset recorded in the FITS headers which seems to be something that NINA may wish to change.

In any case, the issue are the flats. What light source did you use for them? It looks like it may be too bright in the green section of the spectrum and barely emitting light in the far red (Ha and SII are around 650 nm).

HTH, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven I was using the Pegasus Flat Master.  NINA is supposed to do the calculation.  Not sure what went wrong.  This is very helpful and very much appreciated...

ReplyQuote
(@msamazing)
Topic starter  

@wvreeven I was using the Pegasus Flat Master.  NINA is supposed to do the calculation.  Not sure what went wrong.  This is very helpful and very much appreciated...

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@msamazing Not sure what may be going on then. Is it possible for you to use a different light source? Perhaps the sky during the day (cloudy or blue) while covering the front of the telescope with one or more layers of white t-shirt or towel? I usually point my t-shirt-covered telescope at a white wall or door. If you give this a try then you might be able to see if that makes a difference.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: