Notifications
Clear all

Feature request for flat frame stacking  

RSS

(@chris_16)
Main Sequence Star Customer
April 5, 2021 12:24  

Hi,

I am doing flats with a flat-box with NINA's flat wizard for all filters sequencially. It would be very handy, if APP could process all the flat frames in one cycle. That means, if it could detect the different filters from the fits headers and the different exposure times and create the apropriate flats and dark flats accordingly. For the darks it already recognizes the different exposure times, which is great.

But for flats, you have to load every filter separately and stack it separately. Afterwards there is no information available from what filter the master flat (or master dark flat) was created wether in the fits header nor in the filename. It would be very helpful, if the filter was written in the fits header of the master files (and in the file name).

Clear skies,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin
April 5, 2021 13:58  

@chris_16 Chris, I am really surprised by this request, particularly when you write that "you have to load every filter separately and stack it separately". I shoot with a mono camera myself and have no issues loading flats for different filters and the master flat names contain the filter which they were created for.

What version of APP do you use? I don't think that really matters since according to my memory APP has been doing this correctly since 1.078 and maybe even before.

Do you take flats with different exposure times for the same filter or is your request for that related to the fact that APP doesn't seem to recognize the filters for you?

ReplyQuote
(@chris_16)
April 5, 2021 14:25  

@wvreeven

I can't find any filter name in the file name nor in the fits header of flat masters. I am on 1.082

If I load all the flat sub frames from all filters, APP doesn't recognize that they could be grouped by filter or exposure time and therefore it stacks all sub frames to one single master flat. If you feed dark sub frames with different exposure times, APP take care of it and stacks masters for every exposure time. This would be a little bit more effective for the master flat process.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin
April 5, 2021 14:29  

@chris_16 Hi Chris,

Would you mind uploading a set of files so I can try this myself? Like I said, I haven't had any such issues with APP at all. I think you're familiar with uploading files but all the same, please use upload4 for both username and password and create a directory called chris_16_flats on

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

Thanks, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin
April 6, 2021 11:59  

@chris_16 Thanks for the data Chris. It would have helped if you had indicated that you are shooting with a color camera 😉 I asked Mabula if flats for mono and color cameras are treated differently because I could easily reproduce the error that you reported. I'll let you know once I get an answer.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin
April 6, 2021 15:42  

@chris_16 Chris, you can load the flats filter for filter and create custom channels for them. Then APP will process them separately. I agree, however, that it would be great if APP did this automatically.

ReplyQuote
(@chris_16)
April 6, 2021 16:55  

@wvreeven

Thanks, Wouter for your investigation! Well, yes, I shoot with OSC ASI1600MCC, sorry if I did not mention. Technically, there should be no difference between the flat files from a, let say, R, G or B filter to a L-Pro, L-eXtreme and UV-IR filter which I use in my FW. I guess Mabula will fix this easily!

CS,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin
April 8, 2021 12:37  

Hi Chris @chris_16 and Wouter @wvreeven,

I think something odd is happening here, because this should already work properly for OSC camera's. The assignment of filters is independent whether it concerns a mono or OSC camera.

If the flats shot with the OSC have the proper filter tag, then it should simply work as expected. If the flats do not have the filter tag in the fits header, then there is only 1 solution. The user should load the flats per filter and each time inform APP for which filter the flats are. Then all should work as expected.

My suspicion is that the flats don't contain the appropriate fitler header tag, so APP can never know automatically how to assign them.

Chris, we don't seem to have your data anymore. Could you supply us with some of the flats for both filters and then I will investigate 😉

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

username & password: upload4

Thanks,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@chris_16)
April 14, 2021 14:15  

@mabula-admin and @wvreeven,

I uploaded some files to the file station!

CS,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Share: