Does available Ram ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Does available Ram influence Mosaic size?

15 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
(@darknebula)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hello

I am working on a long term mosaic and now that I have reached 28 panels I got a message saying that the image will be downsized by a certain ratio. I have 64 gigs of ram. My question is what is the limit to mosaics created by APP? In other words will upgrading to 128 gigs make a difference? 

cheers

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Well, yes that will likely make a difference, the bigger a mosaic is the more memory it consumes to be able to be processed properly. Must be a really big one with high resolution?

ReplyQuote
(@darknebula)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Yes it is 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@andybutt)
Molecular Cloud

I am having a problem processing a mosaic due to the fact that I cannot increase the amount of ram used. I have 32 Gb ram installed but APP refuses to use more than 12. I have tried to increase in the drop down box but it still reverts to 12 gig on restart. please help

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@andybutt Hi Andy, what version of APP are you using?

ReplyQuote
(@andybutt)
Molecular Cloud

hi Wouter,

Thanks for the reply. I have version 1.083.4

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@andybutt How did you install APP exactly? And to which folder? Do you have any environment variables for JAVA?

ReplyQuote
(@andybutt)
Molecular Cloud

C:\Users\andyb\AppData\Local\AstroPixelProcessor. This was installed from the download. JAVA has not been touched.

ReplyQuote
(@andybutt)
Molecular Cloud

7761 image

I think these are the variables

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@andybutt Thanks. I cannot read the variables in your screenshot.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Andy @andybutt,

You will need to check if there is an environment variable for JAVA containing -Xmx12G. It must be set if you always have only 12G available in APP... that setting overrules all java applications, so it is really advised to removed it as a setting on operating system level 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@andybutt)
Molecular Cloud

Mabula,

See attachment for environmental variables. I see no reference to -Xmx12G

Untitled

Andy

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Andy,

To be clear, whatever you set for RAM in APP with the CFG button, you always have only 12GB available, also when you set it at 4GB for instance with CFG menu ?

In that case, there must be some configuration for java applications on your computer that controls that and thus overrrules the APP application setting. You need to search which application is doing this.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@darknebula)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Hello

So I am working on a mosaic of the galactic core similar to the one you have on the intro page. I am using mainly the Rokinon 135mm and a couple of panels with a Redcat 51.

@vincent-mod Hello again I had just increased my ram to 128 gigs from 64 to avoid downscaling final integration and perform light pollution removal faster but before integration I got that downscaling message again 😑  I had some parts around the mosaic messing to last Friday, I was imaging these areas. Now yesterday when I attempted to create the mosaic again with the 3 final panels I stated receiving this error:  

error 2

So 

The last successful integration was 28,695 x 24,930, the data or the area that is occupied with stars and nebula is just filling like 60% of that total area, its just edges of certain panels that extend that far. 

Registration setting was :

Pattern: pentagons
scale start 9
scale stop 15

Can you tell me the meaning of the error? What's the restriction or maximum dimension of mosaic created by APP? Have I reached the maximum dimension? I know in Photoshop the maximum is 30,000x30,000

cheers

Update: I was able to register but can you still tell me the meaning of the error?

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Ahmed Waddah

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

@darknebula Hi Ahmed,

The curent APP version still has a technical limit for the maximum image dimensions where the amount of pixels can not be larger than 2^31 (roughly 2 GigaPixel). For a RGB image, the limit is 2 gigaPixel /3 = roughly 700 megapixels.

We have on our Todo list to overcome this limit for sure.

The error indicates a problem with registration of one of the mosaic panels. It is also on our Todo list to fix that warning/error message.

Mabua

Ahmed Waddah reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: