Crashed, log file? ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-09-02: APP 2.0.0-beta4 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta4

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta4

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta4

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta4

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta4

Crashed, log file? Better computer recommendations?

(@jjarvis)
Hydrogen Atom Customer
Topic starter  

So I have a computer I've been using to test APP with, it's not, like, super powerful.  Only about 17 years old (LOL).  8GB RAM, plenty of disk.
So I've been running it via a remote desktop and all that is great.  (Note I am using Ubuntu)

But now it seems that APP crashed while I was in the midst of registration.  Up to that point it was taking quite a long time, obviously maxed out on RAM and CPU utilization.

I was hoping to see why it crashed, but I cannot find any logs anwhere.  I see the program in /opt.  But nothing in /var/logs.

I suspect it crashed simply due to out of memory.

I guess I really need something better.

So.

1) no log files anywhere?  Perhaps I can start APP myself and pass some options to java?

2) recommendations on a computer?  I'm looking at a 12 core AMD Ryzen 9 5900x.  With 128 GB Ram.  1TB SSD and 8TB HDD.  I will put Ubuntu on it.

Cheers,

Joel

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@jjarvis Hi Joel,

Regarding the log, in case of a crash there should be a crash log in the installation directory of APP. Note that this will only be there if the crash happened due to any other reason than an Out Of Memory error. Unfortunately we are not 100% sure that the log is written on Linux. On Windows or macOS it will be. So the lack of a crash log on your system may indicate an Out Of Memory error but also may not.

Regarding a recommendation for a new computer: APP requires much RAM and disk space. It looks like the specs of the computer that you selected meet those requirements.

HTH, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@alexlee24)
White Dwarf Customer

if you have more budget for pc, I recommend choosing more capacities for SSD (PCIe Gen4)

ReplyQuote
Share: