Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Bigger Mosaic

8 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@elgol)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hello,

how far are the developments concerning greater mosaics with APP?

A while ago APP had difficulties managing this and often forced (me) to downscale mosaics. Rather bad when this is NOT why doing mosaics: loosing resolution. Can APP for examples use swap files meanwhile?

I want to process 24 panels of 61 mp each, of a 6200mm..

Stefan

ReplyQuote
(@dav78)
Neutron Star

Hi,

Same question here.

According to the pop up message from APP, the current technical limit for a mosaic is 715 megapixels before downscaling the resulting mosaic.

Can you explain this limitation ?

David

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I found my old request:

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/main-forum/i-am-really-frustrated-with-app-sths/#post-12372

answer is still due 🤓 😜 

This post was modified 2 years ago by elgol

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

I checked with Mabula. It indeed still is on the TODO list and will not be part of APP 2.0.0.

ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

too bad.. so this means another 2 years plus? 😬 🍹 

(Mosaics are one of THE features of APP, right? Cam's have more resolution ...)

This post was modified 2 years ago by elgol

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Stefan @elgol & David @dav78,

Our old development platform had a technical limit in such that the image could never be larger than 2^31 = 2GigaPixels... and this holds for mono. For RGB, since you have 3 channels, the limit is 2GigaPixels divided by 3 = roughly 715 megapixels.

Now, with our new and updated development platform, I will see if we can overcome this technical limit. It is on the ToDo.

I also need to revise the preview filter which is also on our ToDo, so it will be easier in terms of RAM memory to load and see such an image if RAM is not sufficient.

APP is already using swap files, so that is not the issue here. Another issue is that you want to see the image with OpenGL/GPU hardware rendering, now most videocards do not allow for texture sizes that big simply. So the OpenGL image viewer needs to be updated as well to use multiple textures if such a big image is loaded. The current behaviour is that it now falls back to CPU rendering, and then you need all pixels in RAM to make it work in such a way that you can still zoom in/out nicely, see all details without having big loss of performance. If you would use swapping, it will be much slower of course.

So we need to conquer differnent problems to make this easier, and all are definitely on our ToDo goin forward, not having mentioned even that the mosaic algortihms will be greatly improved as well as will the registration engine 😉

We have a lot of work ahead !

Mabula

Dav78 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elgol)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Great Mabula! And I really feel a big difference in overall speed with 2.0.... 👍 

ReplyQuote
(@dav78)
Neutron Star

Thanks for the explanations @mabula-admin

Let's see if you can manage to improve this technical limit 👍 

David

ReplyQuote
Share: