APP and plate solvi...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

APP and plate solving/astrometry

7 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@dav78)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi !

Are there any plan for adding plate solving/astrometry in APP in future versions ?

I'm asking because I think it would be a perfect tool to make mosaics ; after star detection it would register all frames with a great accuracy and projection.

David

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @dav78,

Yes for sure, for several reasons. For mosaics, for star color calibration and possibly other reasons 😉

We first need to finish work on 2.0.0 stable with save/load settings and projects 😉 after which this feature is rather high on our priority list.

Mabula

Dav78 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dav78)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Thanks @mabula-admin, that's a great news !

Indeed, solving and astrometry will have many advantages : true star color, projection correction and more.

I'm looking forward to see this 😉 !

David

ReplyQuote
(@szumi)
Main Sequence Star

I shot two series the other night with minimal overlap that I can't get to register.  I was going to suggest either building in plate solving or using coordinates in the fits header to help.  To help figure out what was going wrong I used astap to plate solve and write to the headers and then using Aladin to show me a frame from each sequence so I could see if there was overlap.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @szumi,

We will add it for sure 😉 How much overlap did the frame have? are there any stars in the overlap region. Normally, when enought stars are detected in the overlap region, APP will be successful in registering them.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@szumi)
Main Sequence Star

It was 5% at best with some stars.  That was why I was chiming into this plate solving thread.   I'm still waiting for a good night so I can shoot some frames that overlap which I'm sure will work.

Thank you for responding

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Szumi, @szumi

You are most welcome, yes 5% is very/too little. Even with plate solving, I would recommend more overlap if you want the sky geometry to come out okay when those panels are combined. Many applications use thin plate splines to register the image then, but the sky geometry will be off surely in those cases... so it is never really right with so little overlap.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: