ASIair does not hav...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

ASIair does not have a name for "Dark Flats" so I use the "Bias" category.

9 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@carsan)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

ASIair Plus does not have a file naming header for "Dark Flats" so I have been using the "Bias" field and the fits files have Bias_ in their file name header. Those files are loaded into the Dark Flats tab in APP. Do you think APP is processing the the files by the tab setting (Dark Flats) or by the file header name (Bias). It does seem to generate a master dark flat file after integration.

Mark Abbott reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

No it does use them as darkflats in that case, but it would be nice if you could change the name indeed as it's easy to mix up data.

Mark Abbott reacted
ReplyQuote
(@carsan)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Other people on the APP Users Facebook group are doing the same as me, since ASIair does not have a name for Dark Flats. Just to be clear, you are saying if incorrectly named files (in my case Dark Flats labeled as Bias) are put in in the correct folder (Dark Flats), APP won't integrate them correctly? So I must rename?

If I rename them, what file name does APP need for Dark Flats?

Thanks Vincent,

Carol

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@carsan Carol,

Vincent is suggesting to rename the Master Bias file to Master Dark Flat so you won't get confused if you reuse the file. For the rest, as Vincent pointed out, APP is handling the raw files correctly as Dark Flats as you intended so no need to change or rename any thing there.

HTH, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@carsan)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thanks for clarifying. 

1) Would APP prefer: Master Dark Flat, Master DarkFlat or MasterDarkFlat?

2) Is there a tutorial for creating Master Calibration files separate from the complete image integration process? Something that can be done ahead of time and saved for later integration? The Sara Wagner video is not up to date and she uses light frames for the masters and makes all masters (dark, flat, bias) at the same time.

Thanks for your help! Carol

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Posted by: @carsan

1) Would APP prefer: Master Dark Flat, Master DarkFlat or MasterDarkFlat?

Sorry if my earlier explanation wasn't clear. The name doesn't matter for APP, as long as you load it as the correct file. The name simply is for you to know what file it is.

Posted by: @carsan

2) Is there a tutorial for creating Master Calibration files separate from the complete image integration process?

Just load the raw calibration frames without any lights, go to tab 2 and click the "create Masters & assign to Lights" button. The master files will automatically be saved to your work directory.

ReplyQuote
(@carsan)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thanks Wouter. Sorry to bother you one last time regarding creating master calibration files. Since I am using a one shot color camera and processing in both broadband/Adaptive Airy Disk or dual narrowband/Ha-Oiii color (or Extract Ha), do I need to set any settings in Tab 0 before loading calibration files for creating Master Calibration files? i.e. Do broadband lights and dual narrowband lights use the same Master Flats, Master Dark Flats and Master Darks.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@carsan Hi Carol. you are not bothering me at all and that's a really good question. The answer is that, yes, all lights use the same calibration files. Calibration is performed before any algorithm from tab 0 is applied.

ReplyQuote
(@carsan)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thanks so much!

ReplyQuote
Share: