Analyze star failed

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Analyze star failed

10 Posts
5 Users
9 Likes
(@nwade56)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I have downloaded the demo and trying to get this to process my images. I am following the DSLR tutorial and it keeps dying at the Analyze Stars step.  I have turned the  "detect above noise level Kappa" down as far as it will go, but it still fails.  I have tried various other levels of Kappa but nothing works.  Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

I am using a Canon T3i DSLR

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Most likely the problem lies with the data itself, if you could share some of it via e.g. wetransfer, I could have a quick look at it. I am away for 2 days, so will get back to you as soon as possible. Otherwise Mabula might.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@nwade56)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

If you could send your e-mail address I'll send you a link to the OneDrive folder where the data is kept.  Do you need darks, flats etc?

nwade56@outlook.com

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I’m currently in a very remote area for 2 days. 😉 But I’ll send you my address. I think it should also be possible to send private messages with things like your mail address to me. 

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@nwade56)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Apparently the flats I am using are causing the problem.  I stopped using them and I was able to complete the rest of the steps.  The next step is learning how to take flats that work.

Thanks Vince!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks for the update! You can open a new flats-topic if you want and we can have a go at trying to figure that part out. 😉

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: nwade56

I have downloaded the demo and trying to get this to process my images. I am following the DSLR tutorial and it keeps dying at the Analyze Stars step.  I have turned the  "detect above noise level Kappa" down as far as it will go, but it still fails.  I have tried various other levels of Kappa but nothing works.  Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

I am using a Canon T3i DSLR

Hi @nwade56 and @vincent-mod,

The current star analysis module in combination with registration can in some cases be a bit cumbersome, especially on widefield data with lots of stars or if you have stars with big Full Width at Half Maximum (FWHM) values, i.e. bigger then 5 pixels.

In those case, it can help to increase the star size area to a value of 12 or even 20.

So maybe, your flats give a problem, to verify that I would need to see the data. I will send you an e-mail so you can provide me access to the data, so I can have a look, okay?

Besides this, I got some other reports of users, that  star analysis in combination with registration on some datasets doesn't work well with default settings. The star analysis module has been changed quite a bit in the past months, and it no longer works well automatically I feel. And the setting(s) that you need to tweak are in most cases the star size area.

So to improve on this.....in the past week I have been working on a complete revamp/update of the Star Analysis module to make it more user friendly on all sorts of datasets. I am running final tests now, so the next release should be released after the weekend I think.

I am happy to say, that several settings in 3) Analyse Stars are made redundant now, like the Star size Area, Clip profile and Filter Profile. APP will adjust internally on the data for different situations making the detection of stars better and registration more robust.

More details will be part of the next release notes 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
 Tony
(@tonymacc)
Neutron Star

@Mabula any news on the new release?

This post was modified 6 years ago by Tony

ReplyQuote
(@alanrorr1)
White Dwarf

Me too, I am wondering about the new release as I am also getting an error when analyzing stars . I just recently downloaded the trial and am using a ZWO ASI 294 camera to acquire the OSC images used for evaluation. The results looked very good for an earlier monochrome dataset.

Thanks!

Alan

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

He's working hard on this latest release, the previous release was just a few weeks ago, he needs a bit of time to get this right.

ReplyQuote
Share: