Aligning a stack us...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Aligning a stack using a reference frame not included in the stack

4 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
(@tmitrou)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I'm new to APP so bear with me.... 

I have a bunch of RGB images of M42 that stack fine in APP. (Lets call them M42 Normal)

I also have a bunch of RGB images where I used an Ha filter to shoot ( enhance ) the  Ha that were shot at a different time.

I want to stack the Ha images separately so that they align with the ' M42 Normal ' stack. In DSS you can deselect the reference frame during a stack and it will still be used as the alignment frame but not included in the stack.

Ultimately in Photoshop I want to create an HaRGB image, which I know how to do, but I have to manually manipulate the images using Photoshop to get them to align.

How can I stack the Ha images in APP using a reference frame from the ' M42 Normal ' stack?

In other words, when I stack my Ha lights, how do I get them to align with a 'reference light' that I don't want to include in the integration?

I have tried to stack the ' M42 Normal ' lights and then unchecked all of them. Then checked all the Ha lights, hoping the reference 'M42 Normal ' reference light would still be used but I get an error message when I try to integrate the Ha checked images.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Ted

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@tmitrou Hi Ted, in APP there are several ways to do this. One way is to load the RGB images in one session and the Ha in a second session. Then do an integration over both and APP will align the frames in both sessions. A second way is to process the RGB images and then to process the Ha images separately. You can then load the RGB integration result and the Ha integration result as lights without loading calibration data and perform a star analysis and registration. Then you can save the registered frames which you then can load into Photoshop. Note that you can also combine all frames in APP in the Tools tab.

ReplyQuote
(@tmitrou)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@wvreeven First of all, thank you for your very quick reply.

My goodness, its easy when you know how to do it. I tried both of your methods and was instantly successful with both. I wish I had asked you before spending an hour or more trying to figure this out myself.

Thanks again and i'm sure I will tap you again in the future with other questions once the weather improves..

Ted

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@tmitrou Hi Ted,

Glad to have been of help!

Clear skies, Wouter

ReplyQuote
Share: