Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Sticky] Comet Registration in Astro Pixel Processor 1.083-beta1 - video tutorial

43 Posts
16 Users
10 Likes
(@sperho)
Brown Dwarf

@tailspin45 That looks like a comet registered stack.  My understanding is that there is supposed to be a version that does a comet registered stack, then a star registered stack, and then combine them in a way that both the comet and stars are sharp, no tailing.  This is what my inquiry is about...

ReplyQuote
(@tailspin45)
Red Giant

Ah, sorry, I ,misunderstood. That would be a cool tool!

ReplyQuote
(@astroscot2)
Brown Dwarf

Hello, is there any update on the comet registration process to allow static stars and static comet in the same image, ive seen mention that this can be done in APP but im unable to work out how?

Thanks

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

It's not possible to have sharp stars and a sharp comet automatically, yet. The next release first fixes a number of issues that were still in the comet registration module: https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/release-information/astro-pixel-processor-1-083-preparing-next-release/

Kijja reacted
ReplyQuote
(@maximastrophoto-com)
Neutron Star

Method suggested by Adam Block involves removing stars with StarNet or StarXterminator and then you can do one star alignment in APP to get comet only image. Then you can subtract the comet from star-only subs created by StarNet to get the star field. Then combine them. The residuals after Star removal on the comet image can be removed by creating a mask for the comet and blurring or cutting to black point for everything else.

ReplyQuote
(@astroscot2)
Brown Dwarf

Thanks for the info Vincent .

ReplyQuote
(@wjaincbr)
Brown Dwarf

Dear APP friends - for your interest I just loaded an image of comet Leonard to Astrobin ( https://www.astrobin.com/rdckuj/). I used the comet registration in the new APP 1.083 beta3 release. I also used local area normalisation rejection to minimise star trails, but you can still see artifacts.

thanks

Warwick

ReplyQuote
(@kijja)
Black Hole

@vincent-mod

I think if we can freeze images resolution not changing every time in comet stacking and star stacking of the same data set,  then we can use RGB combine tool to blend comet with star images. Is it possible?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mmm, I don't think so at the moment. But I do know Mabula is working on getting the star-field extracted as well, so a combination would be possible in APP.

ReplyQuote
(@maximastrophoto-com)
Neutron Star

Wouldn't be a bad idea to allow plugins like StarNet++ or StarXterminator to be used instead of reinventing the wheel.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Well, the same could be said about StarXterminator, which could've simply used Starnet. 😉 The reason we make our own version is because it ties very well into our code, giving Mabula a lot of freedom to tune it to work as good as possible. It also opens up other functionalities, exactly because the underlying algorithms can be used elsewhere.

ReplyQuote
(@wjaincbr)
Brown Dwarf

Dear APP friends

Letting you know I have loaded new images of comet Leonard to Astrobin using three different approaches in APP. https://www.astrobin.com/8pzs8i/

Best wishes

Warwick

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Warwick @wjaincbr,

Thanks for sharing 😉 Great results on Leonard !!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: