Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-05-29: APP 2.0.0-beta2 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta2

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta2

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta2

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta2

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta2

[Sticky] Comet Registration in Astro Pixel Processor 1.083-beta1 - video tutorial

Page 2 / 3

(@dv_stranger)
Main Sequence Star Customer

Hi!

If the version is still released this year, will the function be integrated here in which you can stack comet and stars together? In the video it was mentioned that this should be in the next version, but I wanted to ask for safety again if this is still up to date?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

It is yes. Apologies for the delay, Mabula has also been moving etc. so it's been a very busy couple of months for him. I do expect it within weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@helmut-dannbauerdrei-at)
Molecular Cloud Customer

Hello Mabula & Vinvent,

I used the new comet registration feature a lot and it works fairly well for brighter comets. But I failed to register comet cores if they are dim and a brighter star is within the green square.
This is a pity, I think it would help if the dimensions of the "catching area" could be changed!

Best regards
Helmut

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@helmut-dannbauerdrei-at I have passed on your request to Mabula.

ReplyQuote
Molecular Cloud Customer

Thank you!!!

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@helmut-dannbauerdrei-at Mabula told me that the comet registration will work differently in APP 1.083. The green square will resize automatically accordingly to the size of the comet. He is familiar with your use case of a bright star nearby and says that that should be fixed as well.

ReplyQuote
Molecular Cloud Customer

That sounds good, I crave for the new version!

ReplyQuote
(@tailspin45)

67P:C G

Worked as advertised! Very nice tool.

ReplyQuote
(@sperho)
Molecular Cloud Customer

I finally have collected some decent data on Leonard... Any update on the combined stars and comet stacking?

ReplyQuote
(@tailspin45)

@sperho it works great. See my image above. 

ReplyQuote
(@sperho)
Molecular Cloud Customer

@tailspin45 That looks like a comet registered stack.  My understanding is that there is supposed to be a version that does a comet registered stack, then a star registered stack, and then combine them in a way that both the comet and stars are sharp, no tailing.  This is what my inquiry is about...

ReplyQuote
(@tailspin45)

Ah, sorry, I ,misunderstood. That would be a cool tool!

ReplyQuote
(@astroscot2)
Molecular Cloud Customer

Hello, is there any update on the comet registration process to allow static stars and static comet in the same image, ive seen mention that this can be done in APP but im unable to work out how?

Thanks

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

It's not possible to have sharp stars and a sharp comet automatically, yet. The next release first fixes a number of issues that were still in the comet registration module: https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/release-information/astro-pixel-processor-1-083-preparing-next-release/

Kijja liked
ReplyQuote
(@mseningmail-com)

Method suggested by Adam Block involves removing stars with StarNet or StarXterminator and then you can do one star alignment in APP to get comet only image. Then you can subtract the comet from star-only subs created by StarNet to get the star field. Then combine them. The residuals after Star removal on the comet image can be removed by creating a mask for the comet and blurring or cutting to black point for everything else.

ReplyQuote
(@astroscot2)
Molecular Cloud Customer

Thanks for the info Vincent .

ReplyQuote
(@wjaincbr)
Molecular Cloud Customer

Dear APP friends - for your interest I just loaded an image of comet Leonard to Astrobin ( https://www.astrobin.com/rdckuj/). I used the comet registration in the new APP 1.083 beta3 release. I also used local area normalisation rejection to minimise star trails, but you can still see artifacts.

thanks

Warwick

ReplyQuote
(@kijja)
Red Giant Customer

@vincent-mod

I think if we can freeze images resolution not changing every time in comet stacking and star stacking of the same data set,  then we can use RGB combine tool to blend comet with star images. Is it possible?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

Mmm, I don't think so at the moment. But I do know Mabula is working on getting the star-field extracted as well, so a combination would be possible in APP.

ReplyQuote
(@mseningmail-com)

Wouldn't be a bad idea to allow plugins like StarNet++ or StarXterminator to be used instead of reinventing the wheel.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: