[Sticky] Comet Registration in Astro Pixel Processor 1.083-beta1 - video tutorial
@tailspin45 That looks like a comet registered stack. My understanding is that there is supposed to be a version that does a comet registered stack, then a star registered stack, and then combine them in a way that both the comet and stars are sharp, no tailing. This is what my inquiry is about...
Ah, sorry, I ,misunderstood. That would be a cool tool!
Hello, is there any update on the comet registration process to allow static stars and static comet in the same image, ive seen mention that this can be done in APP but im unable to work out how?
It's not possible to have sharp stars and a sharp comet automatically, yet. The next release first fixes a number of issues that were still in the comet registration module: https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/release-information/astro-pixel-processor-1-083-preparing-next-release/
Method suggested by Adam Block involves removing stars with StarNet or StarXterminator and then you can do one star alignment in APP to get comet only image. Then you can subtract the comet from star-only subs created by StarNet to get the star field. Then combine them. The residuals after Star removal on the comet image can be removed by creating a mask for the comet and blurring or cutting to black point for everything else.
Thanks for the info Vincent .
Dear APP friends - for your interest I just loaded an image of comet Leonard to Astrobin ( https://www.astrobin.com/rdckuj/). I used the comet registration in the new APP 1.083 beta3 release. I also used local area normalisation rejection to minimise star trails, but you can still see artifacts.
I think if we can freeze images resolution not changing every time in comet stacking and star stacking of the same data set, then we can use RGB combine tool to blend comet with star images. Is it possible?
Mmm, I don't think so at the moment. But I do know Mabula is working on getting the star-field extracted as well, so a combination would be possible in APP.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to allow plugins like StarNet++ or StarXterminator to be used instead of reinventing the wheel.
Well, the same could be said about StarXterminator, which could've simply used Starnet. 😉 The reason we make our own version is because it ties very well into our code, giving Mabula a lot of freedom to tune it to work as good as possible. It also opens up other functionalities, exactly because the underlying algorithms can be used elsewhere.
Dear APP friends
Letting you know I have loaded new images of comet Leonard to Astrobin using three different approaches in APP. https://www.astrobin.com/8pzs8i/
Hi Warwick @wjaincbr,
Thanks for sharing 😉 Great results on Leonard !!